* how do i join one family to another?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mipak
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

how do i join one family to another?

Post by mipak »

in the late 19th century/early 20th, one of my ancestors married his second cousin. when i was adding various names and other information to our side of the family, i stopped at that point and continued to add similar info. to continue to work my way down to his second cousin which is where i stopped again. the second cousin contains the required info. relating to his side like children but i've added nothing yet relating to her side.

i went through the manual looking for linking families and connecting families but all i saw was family connection mapper which i didn't really understand.

i'm a bit stuck.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: how do i join one family to another?

Post by tatewise »

The usual method of linking families is through their parents & children, and marriage to spouses.
But I presume you know that, so not quite sure what you want to do.

Perhaps you could post screenshots of Diagrams showing fragments of the families you want to join.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice of attaching screenshots.

Maybe you just want to include both family trees in one Diagram?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Are you asking how to "marry" the second cousins to each other? If so, select one of them and when adding the spouse choose 'Link to Existing Record' and browse to the correct individual as spouse, instead of creating a new record for the spouse.

Or are you saying you have already created spouses for each of them so that you have two separate couples, and now you want to merge these into one couple? In that case the question is similar to, although not quite the same as, one asked earlier today by another user in this topic Double Entry? (17956). In that topic there were two family records but only two individuals. You perhaps have two family records and four individuals, but the merge process is similar.
Lorna
mipak
Gold

Post by mipak »

thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the delay in replying ... i was away.

your suggestion to 'marry' them by using 'link to existing record', i think, is the simplest route to take so that's what i'll do.

but first, i've decided to re-start the tree from scratch ... at least that way, i'll be able learn more about the programme.

thanks again for your thoughts ...
mipak
Gold

Post by mipak »

following a re-installation, have now completed down to the 9th generation with just 2 questions.

firstly, one of the children of the 7th gen, got married and had a boy and a girl. the girl eventually married and i added her husband's father and mother into FH. all good so far. the entry was evident in the individual window and also in the focus window but NOT in the Ancestor, Descendant, Ancestor & Descendant or the All Relatives Diagram windows which i thought a bit odd. could understand it if the first 3 didn't show her husband's parents names but i expected their names to show up in the all relatives diagram.

secondly, in Records > Individual Records column, i have one duplication, one with quite a lot of info. and the other with almost nothing. is there a way to delete the second one?

any or all suggestions will be much appreciated.

thank you too for your previous posts ... i followed your suggestion 'Link existing record' which seemed to work but left a curved coloured line linking the 2 names. i don't know if they should remain but they don't seem to be doing any harm at the moment.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

1. The All Relatives diagram includes 'blood' relatives of the diagram root (which for this purpose includes links via parent/child adoption, although they are not 'blood' relatives) and spouses of those relatives. It doesn't include relatives-of-spouses-of-relatives because that makes the diagram potentially very crowded and complex. However those relatives can be seen by selecting a different root person or couple for the diagram. So if you select the woman and her husband jointly as the diagram root her husband's relatives will be included. But this diagram might miss out some people who were included in the first diagram.

There is also an 'Everyone' diagram (View > Standard Diagram Types > Everyone) which will do what it says, but can be very muddled unless you only have a small number of people in your project.

2. If you are sure that one of the records for the duplicated individual doesn't contain any information which is not already in the other record, simply select the unwanted record in the list and hit the delete key. You will be asked to confirm that you want to delete it. (If there is extensive information which is not already in the other record the two records can be merged. You probably don't need to do that, but ask again here if you do.)

3. The coloured ribbons in the diagram are there to indicate that the two branches in different parts of the diagram are one and the same. You can remove them in Diagram Options > General tab > Check for Duplicates, but it is generally recommended that you leave the display as it is, for clarity.
Lorna