* Timeline to aid research

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
erowland
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Timeline to aid research

Post by erowland »

Good Morning.
I am reviewing my paper files wich contain records of births deaths and marriages of people who I suspect are part of my family tree but I have been unable to establish proven connections. These have been accumulated over many years. They are therefore not recorded in FH.
Much of this data relates to 19th century and within a relatively small specific geographical area in Ireland.
As part of a strategy to re-examine this data I feel that it may help to construct a TimeLine of this information to include names, event, witnesses, sponsors location and obviously dates. I would like to include my relevant proven data of BMD as recorded in FH as part of this exercise. Total number of names may be c 50. I would hope that this would assist me to identiy realistic research efforts.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Edward Rowland
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Timeline to aid research

Post by jbtapscott »

Where I have found historical mention of / records with the same surname as those I am studying, I do input them to FH with a suitable comment in the Notes against the individual (Tapscott is a relatively unusual surname!). There have been numerous occasions when, sometimes several years later, I have found that link and have been glad that the data was already in FH.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As suggested, the data can be added to your FH Project in unrelated Individual records.

There are several Queries that can produce a genealogical Timeline of facts interleaved from multiple Individual records.
See fhugdownloads:queriesfact|> Downloads and Links ~ Query Type: Fact with Timeline in their name.
They take a little investigation to understand how they work, but I can explain if necessary.
I suggest you start with fhugdownloads:contents:query_timeline_with_historical_facts|> Query:Fact ~ Timeline with Historical Facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by pwe »

Brent,
You say that Tapscott is a fairly unusual name but I have come across it in my research. You probably know this but a Robert Tapscott heroically survived in an open jolly boat after his vessel SS Anglo Saxon was sunk in WW2 by a German ship Widder. My interest is that my 3rd cousin once removed John Daniel Peaston was a fireman/trimmer on the Anglo Saxon but perished in the attack. There is a book written on the sinking and the voyage of the jolly boat that I read some years ago before I realised that my ancestor was involved.
Is that Robert Tapscott one of yours?
Peter
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Thanks for that Peter. I have only been able to follow "my" Tapscott's back to the late 1700's in Culmstock, Devon - at that point there are multiple Robert Tapscott's and I have been unable to identify which one is "mine". For the Robert I have I have been able to track all subsequent generations pretty successfully so it is likely the Robert you have found is descended from a sibling or earlier generation. The successive generations for "my" Robert had multiple Roberts so I suspect it must have been a family name. All interesting stuff!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thanks for your suggestions.
I will follow up
Rgds
Edward
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike
I have downloaded and installed Timeline with Historical Facts.
How do I input information about people who may not be connected and thus create a Timeline which includes identified family members
Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I imagine you are familiar with the Tools > Preferences > General tab Timeline Facts... settings for close relatives which is the same as for the standard Query Indiviudal Timeline.

To interleave facts from elsewhere you must create Individual records and populate them with facts.
They could be monarchs, or other historically important people, or dummy records for say World War events.

Those Individual records should be added beforehand to the Named List that you select when you run the Query.

Alternatively, the Surname of those dummy Individual records must start with /! Historical
e.g. World Wars /! Historical Facts/
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry