* Linux flavours for FH?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Linux flavours for FH?

Post by Valkrider »

I am currently updating the new KB pages on running FH on Linux using Wine, Crossover and PlayOnLinux.

Can anyone currently running FH using these emulators on Linux please let me know the flavours of Linux and version numbers that you are using? As many replies as possible please so I get a full picture.
Kenarm
Family Historian: V6

Re: Linux flavours for FH?

Post by Kenarm »

I am currently using Ubuntu 20.03 and Family Historian 6 runs on wine with no problems.
I also use Linux Mint 19.3 and again runs OK.
Ancestral Sources also runs on both systems.
Regards,

Kenarm
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks for the info that is very useful
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

Have run several Linux Distributions as virtual machines and all have readily installed Wine from their package repositories. The version of Wine that is offered by default can vary, with the more conservative distributions sticking with the mainstream Wine release cycle; and the more adventurous 'rolling' distributions offering the latest development releases after testing.

Those distributions I have tested over the last 6 months (and mostly since Covid-19 Lock Down/Up - very elderly relatives to consider) are:

Debian-based: Ubuntu 18.x & 20.x, Linux Mint 18.x & 20.x, KDE Neon (rolling release)
RHEL-based: CentOS 8.x, Fedora 30 & 32
OpenSUSE (Tumbleweed rolling release)
Arch Linux-based: Manjaro, Arco-Linux & KaOS (All Arch-based distributions are rolling releases).

The complexity of Wine on Linux seems (to me) to be that the basic installation initially matches the architecture off the OS, so 32-bit Wine architecture normally has to be set up by the user via the Command Line, if it is required.

Findings:

Tested the Family Historian installation process and general usage on Wine in Linux Mint, Manjaro, OpenSUSE and CentOS and experienced no problems, i.e. as good, if not better than MacOS pre-10.15 (Catalina). FH installs with no problems in a 64-bit Wine prefix, so no need to create a 32-bit prefix unless Ancestral Sources is also required. Wine still seems to struggle with DotNet Framework installations (especially 64-bit) so Ancestral Sources installation and use can be problematic/unpredictable.

PlayOnLinux 4.x is widely available on Linux distributions for direct install via the inbuilt package managers but default versions may vary, i.e. not necessarily the latest.

Phoenicis PlayOnLinux/Mac 5 still in development. - Being developed in Java but it's not clear (to me) whether the eventual release will require a full Java installation or use an embedded version.

Crossover for Linux not tested, but I would expect it perform 'better' than the latest Mac Version as it doesn't need the complexity of an additional 'Wine32on64' software that the Mac version needs.

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina)
MacOS 10.16/11 (Big Sur) - otherwise Windows 8 for Mac!

- Native Wine Builds are NOT currently compatible with these MacOS versions and it is not clear whether they ever will be.
- Crossover 19.x is compatible, but only because the developer has added its own 'Wine32on64' software (which the Wine Developers won't integrate) and recompiles the Wine Builds(s) it releases.
- Phoenicis PlayOnMac 5 and other alternative 'front end' developers seem to be using the work done and open-sourced by Crossover developers to build compatible releases but progress has been slow.

Mervyn
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mervyn

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Could I ask if you have time to run your eye over the following article in the new KB and if you can suggest any changes / improvements. PM to me may be better than on here. https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/runni ... n-on-wine/
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Colin,

Yes will have a close look and make any suggestions I can. Will not take offence if you ignore them :D

If I set up another test Linux VM, is there any release you would prefer me to run installation/usage tests on? Ubuntu/Mint are probable the most commonly used from memory of forum questions.

Finding FH in Crossover installation (MacOS (Catalina)) problematical at present. Very slow at refreshing/updating application windows when switching view.

Will use PMs for further contact/suggestions.

Mervyn