* Dated Notes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Dated Notes

Post by mezentia »

Is it possible to put a date on a free-standing note?

I would like to be able to record information gained from narrative sources such as newspapers that are difficult, if not impossible, to attach to an event, or commentary that expands on a person's life, placing some of that individual's actions into a context appropriate for the time in which they lived and drawing on other research material. At the moment, these notes, when I create a narrative report, appear at the end of the report for the individual concerned and I would like them to appear in the appropriate chronological place. I seem to recall reading about "hidden dates" but can't find the reference again, and I can't see where I can apply a date, hidden or otherwise, to a note. One solution I have used to to append the note to the closest event preceding the note's date, but clearly this is prone to problems if other events are discovered in the intervening timespace. This approach is also problematic if the note's contents are relevent to more than one individual in the family. I do use the Entry Date on the source reference, but this seems to have no effect on the note's placement in narrative reports. Post report production editing is, of couse, possible, but far too time consuming, especially when I'm having trouble keeping up with the sheer volume of research I need to do.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Dated Notes

Post by Jane »

I have a miscellaneous event which has a sentence template of {note}, this can be dated and sourced and appears in the correct place in a narrative or timeline. This is easy and flexible. I don't use normal notes very much at all as I tend to attach notes to the events they pertain to. I also have a custom attribute for mentions in newspapers so I can keep them in order.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If necessary, using Jane's Custom Fact method, it is possible to include not only a local Note using the {note} code in the Sentence Template but also a linked Note record by using the {%FACT.NOTE>%} code.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

Jane, Mike

Thank you both. I've tried out your suggestions and they work a treat :)

David