* Occupation in narrative reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Occupation in narrative reports

Post by mezentia »

I have an individual in my tree who was a musician and, according to a large volume reports in the Stage seems to have worked in many different theatres around the country. In the narrative report, the sentence reads to the effect that on a particular date he was a musician in whichever town he was appearing at, followed by “The address was ...”. I’ve looked at the sentence template and it doesn’t mention the address. I would like to re-format the sentence to read “On the 31 December 1933, he was a musician at the Adelphi Theatre in Leeds.” without “the address was ...” bit following. How can this be done? Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find a similar question on the forum.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Occupation in narrative reports

Post by tatewise »

The explanation for the Narrative Report saying The address was: ... is you have ticked the Report > Options > Main tab setting for Inc. Event/Attr Addresses near the top left.
That is NOT the default Installation Setting so you must have changed it at some point.
My advice is that you keep a Narrative Report setup with Installation Settings for comparison purposes.

To adjust the narrative report use Tools > Fact Types, select Occupation, click Edit and alter the Sentence Template to something like {date} {individual} was {a/an value}< at {address}> {place} {age}
Once you have included {address} in the Sentence Template the setting for Inc. Event/Attr Addresses will be ignored for all Occupation sentences, i.e. FH ensures the Address is not mentioned twice.

Check that the Sentence Template works for all your Occupation facts, and not just musicians!
You may have to adjust the way the Address field is entered to get perfect sentences.
e.g. In your example, the Address will need to be The Adelphi Theatre otherwise it would say:
On the 31 December 1933 he was a musician at Adelphi Theatre in Leeds.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mezentia
Superstar

Re: Occupation in narrative reports

Post by mezentia »

Thanks Mike.