* Sentence construct dilemma

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Sentence construct dilemma

Post by dewilkinson »

I have just noticed a difference in how a sentence is displayed between a report and a web site created by FH. (I have a funny feeling I may have mentioned something similar before.) This is a marriage and the sentence template includes a bit about witness roles.
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

The text in the note field for this event includes a bit about the witnesses (I always do this) and add roles as well. If I generate a web site only the basic sentence appears, the role specific element is absent.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (47.17 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

If I generate a report, the witness bit is in twice as the role specific element of the template is active, which is rather silly.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (97.25 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

As my main report is our web site I have to the witnesses in the note field so they get mentioned on the web site, and have to accept they will appear twice in a narrative report.

This seems rather peculiar to me as it would be logical to be consistent. I cannot see a setting that is causing this discrepancy, is there one I can alter?
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Sentence construct dilemma

Post by tatewise »

I presume you know they are two completely different types of Report.

The web page is using a Family Group Sheet (for Web, CD or DVD) and Sentence Templates play no part at all.

The other is a Narrative Report which is the only type of report that employs Sentence Templates.

You could customise the Create a Website wizard at Step 3 to use Narrative Reports if you wish.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

Mike,

Thank you, I am aware of the different reports but it just struck me as odd that the Family Group presentation, which I prefer for the web site, didn't pick up linked witnesses. I understand why and will just have to live with it as I only produce a few narrative reports for specific purposes.

Regards
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as explained in glossary:standard_reports|> Standard Report Types no Reports include Timeline Facts or Fact Witnesses with the one exception that the three Narrative Report types include Fact Witnesses.

It is rumoured that FH V7 may include Fact Witnesses in more types of Report.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

Lots of promises regarding FH V7, all we can do is wait and see, but I look forward to it whatever improvements it brings.