* CD/DVD Creation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mike Davies
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

CD/DVD Creation

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi All I'm creating a CD of a tree and would like to include an Ancestor chart that I've created and saved as a jpeg. I include this by adding a Picture in the creation wizard but after completion it is so small that it cannot be read. I've experimented and the only result I've been able to create is very large and has to be navigated via the scroll bars. Is it possible to create this so that it opens showing the whole tree but enlarging when you click on it.
Thanks Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Re: CD/DVD Creation

Post by tatewise »

I guess you are using the FH Publish > Make a Family Tree CD/DVD command wizard.

It is important to remember that the files on the CD run in a web browser, just like an online web site.
So how the files get presented depends on the recipient user's browser and PC installed applications.
They will almost certainly be different from what you use on your PC.

When FH creates the web pages that display personal details it allows images to popup enlarged.
But there are only very limited controls to adjust zoom and scroll.
Unfortunately, even those features are not provided for Pictures of Diagrams added to the Table of Contents.

When you use the Picture Image option there is a Size: choice at the bottom and if Default or Original are unsuitable then use Custom and set a specific pixel size.
Alternatively, when you save the Diagram originally adjust its Scale so that the JPG is the desired size.

What I recommend is that you save the Diagram as a single page PDF file.
Then in Table of Contents use the Gedcom File or Other Download option and select that PDF file.
When it is displayed in the browser there are usually zoom and scroll controls, or it can be downloaded into the user's favourite PDF viewer program that may have even more sophisticated controls.

BTW: See how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website that has many useful tips.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jsphillips »

I have found today very few people now use CD's or even have installed on a laptop a CD Drive,
With the large amount of Storage now available on memory sticks is it not possible to use this medium also cheaper to post and retain ??
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, any similar storage medium will work just the same: CD, DVD, USB memory stick, SD Memory card, etc.
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Thanks Mike for your swift reply as always. I will try experimenting but my family have found me other tasks to do today so I’ll get to it later
Cheers Mike
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

I agree about the USB sticks but I have none spare and a pile of discs. Also my friend whose tree I’m doing has a CD slot on his ancient computer and is happy to use this method, but thanks for the comment.
Regards Mike
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Mike I've followed your advice and created and uploaded the tree as a pdf and created the disc again. The tree title appears in the contents but nothing happens when I click on it. Hovering over the title in contents shows the file path at the bottom of the screen but this disappears as soon as the mouse is moved. What am I not doing correctly?
Thanks Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not sure exactly what you mean by "created and uploaded the tree as a pdf".
Presumably, you opened the Diagram Window used Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and chose the single page default options. At the end, there is an offer to open the PDF file to check its contents.

In Publish > Make a Family Tree CD/DVD at wizard Step 4 you added a Download and selected that same PDF file.
Then you completed all the other steps through to Finish where the web pages are created and displayed in your browser.
The inclusion of the diagram PDF file should be automatic.
Its display in your browser should also be automatic unless you have inhibited PDF files.
The path when you hover over the link should end with ...\Public\FH CD-DVD\data\<diagram-name>pdf
Which web browser are you using?

Use Windows File Explorer to check the files that have been created as follows.
Ensure the View tab has Details selected.
Navigate to your Project's Public folder and then the FH CD-DVD\data folder.
Click the Type column header to group files together.
Near the top should be fhstyle.css and _nameindex.html and many other HTML and JPG files.
Your diagram PDF file should also be listed with the same filename it was given when saved in the Diagram Window.
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Mike thanks for your swift reply again as always. Firstly I should have said "created and uploaded to the tree as a PDF"
Secondly I'm using Chrome as my browser on my desktop with Windows 7 professional. The path is as you have indicated. I also use a new laptop with Windows 10 and link the two through Dropbox. I could not follow your last paragraph on my desktop but could on the laptop. the top three files are Chrome HTML documents and the fourth is the chart PDF. I created the CD/DVD via the FH Wizard on the desktop as it is easier to burn the discs here. Should I start again on the Laptop in Windows 10?
Thanks and sorry to be a pain
Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If your FH Projects are synchronised via Dropbox then exactly the same files should exist on both the desk and laptop.
They should be visible just the same in the Windows 7 Windows Explorer although that won't have a View tab.

You should not need to repeat the process on the laptop if your FH Projects are synchronised via Dropbox.
BTW: Only run FH on one PC at a time. Never leave FH running on both.

I am surprised the first three files are all Chrome HTML Documents.
I would expect fhstyle.css a Cascading Style Sheet Document to be right up there.

If you can locate the index.html file and open it, then the FH Home page is displayed.
When you click on a link such as the PDF diagram, it will open in a new tab, but that tab is not automatically displayed.
Mike Davies
Diamond

Post by Mike Davies »

Morning, all working fine now. Many many thanks Mike for all your work for me and on this forum.
Regards Mike Davies