* Adding honours e.g. MBE and JP to an individuals record

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rlparsons
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Adding honours e.g. MBE and JP to an individuals record

Post by rlparsons »

A relative of mine is/was both a Justice of the Peace (JP) and was also awarded the MBE but I am confused as to how I record these against her name. I would like her record sheet to show "A N Other JP MBE on reports etc with the associated correct sentences. As default at present I have entered her name in the record box as "A N /Other JP MBE/" but I'd like to record it correctly within FH.
Any help would be appreciated.
Incidentally, searching for "honours" in the search box is not of much help!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Adding honours e.g. MBE and JP to an individuals record

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, to include JP MBE as a suffix use the format A N /Other/ JP MBE
Otherwise, those honours will be treated as part of her surname.

It would be a good idea to add Facts to give more information such as dates for those honours.
Probably, Occupation would be best for Justice of the Peace with appointment details.
Title would be good for MBE to provide details of the investiture: when, where, and sources such as invitation and certificate, etc.

Genealogically speaking the Name of somebody should be as recorded on their Birth Certificate and not later name changes such a Married Surname, honours, inherited titles, etc, but the choice is yours.
Possibly add the honours to an Alternate Name then it shows in Reports as aka ...

You may get some ideas from how_to:handle_people_with_multiple_names|> How to Handle People With Multiple Names.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

You should record the 'awards' using the 'name suffix', but preferably combined with Alternative Name(s) to which you can attach Facts/Events that will indicate when the various titles/qualifications etc. were awarded or came into use, i.e. if you add them to the standard Name entry for the individual it implies they were born with those qualifications and that's how it will appear on screen and in reports etc.!

Mervyn

Mike Tate beat me to the answer.
Last edited by mjashby on 11 Apr 2020 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 11 Apr 2020 17:18 Firstly, to include JP MBE as a suffix use the format A N /Other/ JP MBE
Otherwise, those honours will be treated as part of her surname.
I have always used the suffix field (accessed via the more (+) ... by the name in the property box). Entering A N /Other/ JP MBE does not seem to put JP MBE in the Suffix Field
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

David,

Yes that's my experience as well. Not sure if it's a 'bug' or a by design feature. However, I do find it useful for recording something that I want to see on screen without altering the name with some 'permanent' suffix, e.g. Mary /Smith/ née ? for a married woman whose maiden name is not yet known, or John /Smith/ of .... , if I want a quick on screen indicator of where to begin searching for 'his' earlier records.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention the Suffix field.

Text appended to the /Surname/ is quite distinct from the Suffix field in more (+)...
Neither will automatically update the other, and both are allowed together.

Both will appear in most Reports somewhere and can appear in the Caption atop the Property Box.

But Suffix does not appear in the Focus Window or the Name box of the Property Box.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rlparsons
Platinum

Post by rlparsons »

Thanks, folks.
Seems it is not quite as cut and dried as I thought. I'll do a bit more experimenting before deciding which suits me best.
I'm just getting back into FH after a period and I need to refresh my memory cells on a few things as well. Self isolation seems a perfect opportunity!