* Linking photographs

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Linking photographs

Post by tatewise »

Hi Paula.

I think you are saying you have linked the photo to the Media tab of the Family record that links the Father, Mother and Children together.
That is similar to the Family Historian Sample Project for the root couple Ian Stephen Munro & Charlotte Carrington with their three children Christopher, Janet & Paula.
Notice how a head & shoulders image for each person is derived from that one photo.
BTW: You open the Family record by clicking the blue bar running across below the couple in the Focus Window where it says Married: 12 January 1986...

Having added that photo once, you should not add it again using Insert From File via each Individual > Media tab.
Instead, choose the other option of Link to Existing Media Record and choose the appropriate record.

Bear in mind where that photo will appear in the Focus Window, Diagrams & Reports.
Ensure its Pref and Exclude from... settings are appropriate. Ask if you don't understand.

Having said all that, because the photo is providing key information about the children's names, I would treat it as a Source document and add it just like a BMD Certificate, with a Citation from each person's Name field. Both the front and back of the photo would be linked to the Source record Media tab, and the Main tab fields could say who took it (Author), give transcript (Text From Source) , etc.

It would also still be possible to link each person's Individual > Media tab to the same photo front Media record that is linked to the Source record, and optionally adding a head & shoulders Face Frame.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Paula, I notice you referred to something I had said in another topic. I'm not sure which topic that was, but I'll just add that there are two ways you can approach the process of linking one photo to many people. Either (1) start from the Media record and link to each person in turn, or (2) go to each person in turn and link to the Media record. Mike has described the second method, starting from an individual and using Link to Existing Media Record. I won’t confuse you by describing the other method, except to add a useful hint: if you go to the Media record and open its Property Box you will see on its Links tab a list of all the records linked to it. This is useful for checking that you have not missed anyone out.
Lorna
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Paula, don't lose heart! You are on the right track.

As you intend to have a subfolder for photos with another two subfolders within that, it is probably a good idea to start by moving, or copying, the photos into their relevant subfolders using Windows Explorer. This is not essential, because you can tell FH which sub-sub-folder to copy each one to, but you might find it easier to make sure they are all in the right place by moving them first and looking at the list in each subfolder. (I do it that way, but it's a matter of personal preference.)

Next, as you say, go to the Media tab of the Property Box of one of the individuals and Add media > Insert from file and browse to the location of the photo. If you have already put the photo in the relevant sub-folder you won't need to tell FH to copy it. Otherwise when it says Copy Files(s) to: you will need to browse (again) to the sub-folder where you want it to be saved. Then when you want to link to the next person use Link to Existing Media Record

(Alternatively use Add > Pictures in the main toolbar to create the Media record before linking it to anyone, then use Link to Existing Media Record for all of the individuals.)

A useful tip is to click on the Updated column in the Records window to bring the new Media record to the top. Then you can select it very quickly when linking to it.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Lorna says, don't lose heart, as you clearly understand the process.
It is one of the drawbacks of using AS that you are shielded from the actual process of adding Media.
If you want to practice, then use the Family Historian Sample Project where you can also see photos that have already been added.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Paula

Hesitiating in case I add to your confusion, but, you say:
Paulamoulton wrote: 07 Apr 2020 16:10 ...
You refer to "Media record" of which I have 1,979 images and none of them are family photos, just source documents.
They are in the media folder of the Project in the sub folders: Births & Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, Census, Military, and Other.
Media Records and Images are subtly different.

If you look in FH in the record window on the Media tab, you will probably see a list of media records; these are media records within your FH data file (the GEDCOM file xxxx.ged)

Within each media record you will expect to find a link to the actual images (the *.jpeg *.jpg or *.png etc. files which sit outside the *.ged file). The media records tell FH where to find the images.

If in FH you double click on a media record it will bring the property box up for that media record and in that property box you will see the link to the image file (if there is an image file linked to the media record).
Media Record
Media Record
Screenshot from 2020-04-07 18-11-36.png (148.32 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Just putting an image file in the media subdirectory of your FH project does not create a media record. To do that you have to "add media" as previously described by Mike and Lorna. Normally media records look after themselves - but they can be inspected as shown above.

When you "add a new image to a fact", what actually happens is that a media record is created to link to the image file and the media record is linked to the fact as shown below.
Media (record) attached to a Fact
Media (record) attached to a Fact
Screenshot from 2020-04-07 18-21-45.png (67.78 KiB) Viewed 5742 times

Your comment, quoted above, made me wonder if the differences were entirely clear. I hope that helps - or at least does not add to your confusion.

David
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To capture a Source document by hand in FH you must mimic what AS does automatically.
There are various methods involving Automatic source citations, etc, but I will keep it basic.
If you don't like what we create then it can easily be un-done or modified.

First, in the Records Window open the Sources tab, or use the View > Record Lists > Sources command.
That will list all the Source records created by AS and where we will create a Source record for the photo.
Use the Add > Source command to display a new empty Source record Property Box.
Give it a Title describing the photo, set Type to Photograph, enter Author as the photographer, in Text From Source enter a transcript of the back of the photo, and fill in any other fields as necessary (or any variant of that data you prefer).
Now on its Media tab add the photo from file, and repeat the process for the image of the back of the photo.
Close the Property Box and the Source record will appear in the list along with all the others.

Now open the Property Box of one of the Individuals named in the photo so we can add a Citation of the Source.
Ensure the Sources For: yellow pane is open by clicking the Show Sources yellow scroll icon in upper right toolbar.
Select the person's Name: box and in the Sources For: box it should say Name (where the Citation will be added).
Now click the Add Citation yellow scroll with green circle & white + icon in the lower toolbar.
In the Select source... dialogue find your Source record created above (if necessary put its Title in the Filter).
Finally, click OK and the photo Source will be listed in the Sources For: pane.
BTW: Click the Show Media pair or images icon, and the photo front & back are displayed.

To add the photo directly to the Individual, open their Media tab and use Add Media > Link to Existing Media Record... to select the Media record created with the Source record earlier. That photo may appear against that person in the Focus Window and in Reports and Diagrams. If you wish it can be configured to just display their head & shoulders.

Repeat those Individual record steps for each person named in the photo.

If still unsure, then experiment in the Family Historian Sample Project until comfortable with the process.