* Project failed to open

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
20angus07
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Project failed to open

Post by 20angus07 »

My laptop lost internet connection, when it was restored I got this message from F.H.

The project failed to open. One or more snapshots of you project data have previously been take automatically. If you are unable to open the project you should consider reverting to one of these snapshots ( click 'More tasks' in the project window. and choose 'Manage snapshots') Alternatively if you have back ups, you may wish to restore one of those.

I went to manage snapshots but have no option to manage snapshots.

None of this means anything to me at all, I need help to understand why it happened and what to do. I do have a back up on an external hard drive.
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Project failed to open

Post by LornaCraig »

Can you give some more details:
Was FH open at the time the internet connection was lost?
Do you keep your project folder in cloud storage (e.g. OneDrive or Dropbox)? If so, do you also have the folder available locally on your laptop?

If there is no cloud storage involved the loss of internet connection is unlikely to be the cause of the failure of your project to open.

Whatever the cause, you should be able to revert to a recent version of your data:
To use a snapshot, in the Project window you need to select your project in the list (the only other project might be the FH Sample Project) before clicking More Tasks, then the Manage Snapshots option should be available. You can select the most recent one and then Revert to Snapshot. This will restore a recent gedcom file, but if you have added any Media items since the snapshot was taken they will need to be added again.

Alternatively use File>Backup/Restore>Restore Backup and select your backup from your external hard drive.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG. [Lorna posted at the same time as I did.]

I suspect that somehow during the restoration process that FH has lost track of where you keep your Project data, or perhaps your Project data has been moved.
However, it should be fairly easy to get you back working again, but I need to know more about your setup.

What was involved in restoring your lost internet connection?
Did it involve a major rebuild of your laptop or what?

Does the File > Project Window open, and does it list any Family Historian Projects?
Below that list what does it say should be their Location: ?

Did you keep your Projects in the default Location: My Documents\Family Historian Projects folder?
Or did you relocate the Family Historian Projects folder somewhere else, and if so where?

To fix the problem it should simply need Location: to refer to your Family Historian Projects folder.
Until that is fixed the Snapshot option will not be available, and probably won't be needed anyway.

I suggest you do not use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup until the above issues have drawn a blank.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike (& Lorna)

I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to technology so will try to answer your questions.
My internet connection just drifts off sometimes and I generally restart the computer or switch off wifi if really necessary. Maybe I need a new laptop.
The File Project Window opens and lists Fosters 21//03/2020 and the location is One Drive -Documents/Fostersfhdata

In MyDoc/F Hist Projects folder are F.H. Sample Project and Fosters 05/11/2018

My last FH Gedcom backup is Fosters 2020 03 20 in Users Judy Documents 6.99. MB

I don't understand the next bit about ' To fix the problem it should simply need Location....

My External Hard drive has a back up dated 2nd March 2020 so could use this but I really need to know why I had this problem so it doesn't happen again - am I doing something stupid?

Thank you so much for answering i think family history is going to keep me sane in the next few months.

Thanks

Judy
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Assuming "Fosters" is your Project name.
On the Project Window click on it once and then click the More Tasks button, there should be an option for Manage Snapshots there if you are using an up-to-date version of FH6.

Take the option and report what you can see there.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Judy,
Can you please provide full details of folders and names, etc, and not abbreviations, because the details do matter.

You say the Project Window ~ Location: is One Drive -Documents/Fostersfhdata which looks very wrong to me.
Fosters.fhdata is a folder deep within your Fosters Project folder and is NOT a valid Location: for Projects.

I would expect something more like C:\Users\<judy>\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects but only if you have moved your FH Projects to OneDrive.
Have you moved your Family Historian Projects folder to OneDrive?
Or maybe you have moved your entire Documents folder to OneDrive?

The My Documents\Family Historian Projects folder is the default installation Location: folder.
So in FH open File > Project Window and use More Tasks > Project List > Reset Location to Installation Default
Does that restore your Projects?

However, until you clarify whether you moved your folders to OneDrive or not, that may not be the end of the trail.

I suspect More Tasks > Manage Snapshots will not be effective until you can get the Location: corrected.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Jane

I have done the things you suggest, when I get to Revert to Snapshot I get a caution - recommended to take a full project backup before proceeding.

I don't understand the rest of the message.
Is a full project backup just like my backup on my external harddrive and can I make another backup from the program whilst I'm getting this error message?

Thanks Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Judy, have you followed any of my advice?
You have not answered my questions at all!

We don't know whether the backup on your external drive is a Full Project Backup unless you tell us more about it.
What is its filename?
If it is like FH Project Backup - Fosters - 2020-03-20 1234.zip then it is a full backup.
If includes the word (min) or Gedcom then it is not.

That backup was on 20/03/2020 but your Project Window said 21/03/2020 so it has changed since that backup.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

I did tell you I was an idiot with technology but am trying to get to grips with it.

You were right it is c:\ users \>judy>\One Drive \ Documents\Family Historian Projects
I thought that I had copied the folder to One Drive and then saved my data to One Drive but in Documents on my P.C. there is only the Sample Project.

I haven't yet tried to restore my Projects by opening file etc in FH but will do that when you have read the above.

I haven't tried Janes's suggestion yet either.

Thanks Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So just to be clear, you are saying that in File > Project Window the Location: is set to
C:\Users\Judy\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects

With that setting, what Family Historian Projects are listed there?
Family Historian Sample Project ?
Fosters ?

Can you use the Open Project button to open both those two Projects?

If you have switched to using OneDrive, then the old C:\Users\Judy\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder must be ignored, and we can tidy that up later to avoid any confusion.
Don't do anything unless instructed to do so.

Also please give things their full name, i.e. don't say Sample Project if it is actually Family Historian Sample Project.
Computers are very fussy about specifics, and we can only advise on what you tell us, because we cannot see your screen.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

It will be easier for me to just tell you what is where since confusion still reigns.

This PC>Documents>Family Historian Projects>Family Historian Sample Project>Family Historian Sample Project fh_data

One Drive>Documents>Family Historian Projects>Family Historian Sample Project>Family Historian Sample Project fh_data
AND >Family Historian Sample Project
Also
One Drive>Documents>Family Historian Projects>Fosters>Fosters.fh_data
AND Foster>Family Historian Project File (31/12/2015)

Also
One Drive>Documents>Fosters.fh_data>Fosters>Fosters.fh_data>media OR snapshots OR Fosters Gedcom (2017)

Not sure what the Open Project button is but can open all the files

Hope this means something to you!

Thanks Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is useful Judy.
Let me answer the last question first. I've highlighted in yellow the Open Project button in the screenshot below.
So in File > Project Window you select the FH Project name and open it with that button.
Your Location: folder path should be very similar to the one shown in this screenshot. Tell me if it is not!
FileProjectWindow.png
FileProjectWindow.png (34.95 KiB) Viewed 10762 times
Now to handling your folders and files in Windows File Explorer ...

This PC\Documents\Family Historian Projects
This is a leftover from the default installation setup and is no longer needed now you have moved to OneDrive.
That Family Historian Projects folder and all its contents should be deleted to avoid any future confusion.

OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects
This is the active folder referenced by the FH Project Window > Location: path.
It holds the Family Historian Sample Project and your Fosters project folder structures.
These are to be retained, as they are your master database.

OneDrive\Documents\Fosters.fh_data
I have no explanation for how this got created, except that it appears to date from 2017.
It is an abnormal folder structure and probably holds obsolete database details.
That Fosters.fh_data folder and all its contents should be deleted.

After performing that clean up, ensure your two Projects are both behaving correctly.

Once satisfied that everything is back to normal then post back here and I can suggest some possible WifI remedies
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

Right, I followed your instructions, I have only one choice and that is Fosters ( gedcom symbol) 21/03/2020

The pathway is C:\Users\judyc\OneDrive\Documents\Fosters.fh_data

When I press the Open Project button I get the same message that I got when I first had problems.

Thanks for your patience!

I won't do anything to my files just yet but look forward to understanding how this all works.

Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I thought at one point you had said that in File > Project Window the Location: was set to
C:\Users\judyc\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects but obviously not.

Let us first try a shortcut that may work.
In the File > Project Window left-click on the current C:\Users\judyc\OneDrive\Documents\Fosters.fh_data pathway and choose Reset Location to Installation Default so it says My Documenst\Family Historian Projects.
Are two projects listed ~ namely the Family Historian Sample Project and your Fosters project?
Do they both open and work as expected?
If you can answer YES to both questions then skip past the next steps to the last paragraph to set default project.

Otherwise, in File > Project Window you must use More Tasks... > Project List > Choose Location for Projects.
In the Browse for Folder dialogue select OneDrive > Documents > Family Historian Projects and click OK.
That is much the same as you did when you switched to using OneDrive.

Now your Project Window > Location: should look similar to my earlier screenshot.

Two projects should be listed ~ namely the Family Historian Sample Project and your Fosters project.
Do they both open and work as expected?

If so, then return to the File > Project Window and make your Fosters project the default.
i.e.
Select to highlight Fosters and use More Tasks... > Set as Default Project
or right-click Fosters and choose Set as Default Project ~ It should then gain a small green tick.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

I tried the shortcut but only Family Historian appeared so followed next instructions and my Project Window>Location was similar to your screenshot. But when I went back in a few moments later Fosters had disappeared. I was about to ask whether it mattered that the Fosters file listed was dated 2106?

Despite following your instructions a couple more times the Fosters file has not appeared.

Thanks
Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Judy, can you please, please, please really try hard to be more precise about what you are doing otherwise we don't know.
"only Family Historian appeared" and "when I went back in" are not helpful in understanding what is happening.
How did you go back in? Just used File > Project Window command, or closed and reopened the FH program?

Why are you repeatedly following my instructions? Which instructions? I gave several.
Does the pathway shown against File > Project Window > Location: keep changing?
If it is always showing C:\Users\judyc\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects then leave it alone.

I have no idea how your Fosters project could be dated 2106 in the future!!!

Earlier you used Windows File Explorer to investigate C:\Users\judyc\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects and said that folder contained both Family Historian Sample Project and Fosters folders.
Is that still the case?
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

Have tried again and now in File>Project Window under Family Historian Projects I have in the box

Family Historian Sample Project 21/01/2017
Fosters 26/10/2016

Now it looks like your screen shot.

What now?
Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Is that stable now, so that you can open and close the FH program, and open those two Projects reliably?

If so, we can move on to the next step.
That Fosters project says its last update was on 26/10/2016 a long time ago.

Therefore, we need to restore from the Backups you created recently.
Do you agree?
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

Yes, it's fine now, can open and close Project Window and both Projects without problem.

Yes I agree we need to restore from back ups created recently.

Thanks Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry this is taking a while but I am taking small careful steps at a time.

Firstly, how familiar are you with restoring FH Backups?
Your answer will determine how detailed my instructions will be.

Secondly, please confirm that the following two FH Backup files exist and you know how to find them.

External hard disk has file: FH Project Backup - Fosters - 2020-03-02 1234 Compressed (zipped) Folder
The last four digits indicate backup time in hours & mins so may not be 1234
But it is important the part representing the date is 2020-03-02, i.e. 2nd March 2020, or later

C:\Users\judyc\Documents\FH Gedcom Backup - Fosters - 2020-03-20 1234 Compressed (zipped) Folder
Similar comments apply, especially for the date 2020-03-20, i.e. 20th March 2020
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

Yes, it's fine now, can open and close Project Window and both Projects without problem.

Yes I agree we need to restore from back ups created recently.

Thanks Judy

To confuse matters can't find reply box to your questions of 16:17 today,
but here are my answers

I don't have FH Project Backup -Fosters as a zip folder in either place

On my external hard drive I have
Family Historian 1 this is a Gedcom file dated 02/03/2020 of 3,757 KB which opens up my tree.

On my laptop in c:\users\judyc\Documents is a Gedcom File dated 20/03/2020 of 6.99.MB - opens but no media
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm sorry Judy, but without suitable backups and your admitted technological limitations, I am struggling.
Unless anybody else has a better suggestion, I advise the following ...
Do NOT change anything else regarding Family Historian or any Project or GEDCOM files.
Do NOT delete anything.
Send an Email to Family Historian Support at support@family-historian.co.uk requesting assistance.
Hopefully, they should be able to gain remote access to your PC and try and resolve your problems.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for all your efforts, I can't believe what a mess I've managed to get myself into. When I copied my Gedcom file onto my external hard drive at the beginning of March ( something I do every month or so) I thought it was a copy that could be copied back onto my laptop if something went wrong there- obviously not.

I will do as you suggest and email support@familyhistorian.co.uk and hope that somehow they can sort me out.

I've been using the programme for many years with laptops so this was a shock.

Thank you again for your patience.

Cheers

Judy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Copying the GEDCOM file is only a part of your Project data.
It does not include any of your Media files, nor some important settings.
You need to use File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup but only after the support team have recovered everything.
I am sure all your latest Media, etc, are there somewhere, but I cannot be sure where without looking inside your PC.
20angus07
Gold

Post by 20angus07 »

Hi Mike,

I can only think that when I copied it to the hard drive I used File>Backup/Restore>Small Back up ( Gedcom File Only) - a stupid thing to do.

When I open the Family Historian on my external Hard drive the media are all shown but I do understand there are essential files etc missing.
All the media on my tree is easily accessible from my files but of course would take quite some time to input again.

I will email the support team later today.

Thanks again

Judy