* Record Flags problem

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Record Flags problem

Post by E Wilcock »

I am in need of help.
I downloaded the DNA gif into my fh icon folder.
I then created a DNA flag using this image.

The gif seems to have attached itself to the root person in each of my projects. I certainly dont want it in my academic place projects.

My husband is trying to help me, reading from p. 229 of Simon Orde's book. I select the root person. Go to edit, record flags dialogue and the diagram shows that my single record has no flag.

If I go to his media and look at his flags, the box is empty. But it still shows up if I crerate a diagram for him.

What I would like to do (but have forgotten how) is to use this DNA flag to mark any person who has an attribute Gedmatch.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Record Flags problem

Post by E Wilcock »

I will add that in order not to go out of my mind, I solved the problem by renaming the icon image file.
But I would like to understand why things went so drasticly wrong. It has really upset me.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Evelyn

Have you been lead astray by record flags (added to a record through "Edit Record Flags" and visible on the "All" tab) and icons (which can include national flags) that show up in diagrams?

Icons can be set by a number of ways (e.g. using conditions - expressions or flags), one of which confusingly is the existence of a record flag on the record!

If an icon is unexpectedly showing against all your people (i.e. under their boxes in diagrams), that would tend to indicate a logic issue in your conditions.

Icons should not be "attached" in the way that media is attached.

David
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I was also under the impression that all icons had to be bmp's so maybe by using a gif that has contributed to your problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Diagram Icons and Record Flags are not the same thing, but are often confused.

Record Flags can only be added to Indiviudal Records and examples include Private and Living.
They are tiny pieces of data added to the GEDCOM file.

Diagram Icons are tiny BMP image files that can be conditionally attached to Diagram Boxes.
Those BMP files should be added to the global C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons folder.
(Alternatively, save them somewhere memorable within your Project's Public folder.)

The confusion stems from the popular practice of using the Diagram Boxes Conditions to make Records Flags produce Diagram Icons, but in this case the DNA Icon should be conditional on your custom GEDMATCH fact.

In Getting the Most From Family Historian see Chapter 9 Setting the Style, Layout & Content of Diagrams where it discusses B&B-Style Icons and The Boxes Tab.

This topic is nothing whatever to do with Media images.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, You are correct, I did not understand the difference between flags and icons.

I apologise for forgetting what you taught me when I started using fh.
My icon image files are all in the fh icon folder. Correct.

I am using Diagram icons.
Right at the start I set them successfully for an attribute of a particular value. I can look at a family network or people held in a Nazi prison and immediately see who in their famiy was Jewish, who was not and who was in the SS. So I used icons correctly once and now it is a blank.
What does B&B-style mean?
Do not reply to this as am currently going through the book and following your instructions from yesterday.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I will reply just to give my explanation of why I think the DNA Icon is attached to every Root person.
You have chosen the Diagram > Options > Boxes tab as shown below.
Selected the Condition of Box Type at the top and the Root tab below (probably by mistake).
(Note those tabs define the colour of each Box Type, e.g. Root is white, Ancestor is green, etc.)
Then you clicked Edit Features... and ticked Icon to add the DNA Icon.
That forces the DNA Icon onto the Root person Box Type of EVERY standard Diagram in EVERY Project.
To undo that effect, go through the same steps but untick the Icon option in the Box Features dialogue.

BoxFeatures.png
BoxFeatures.png (23.38 KiB) Viewed 8631 times
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. Very kind of you. I will do that. What I post below crossed with your post.

I have been through the book and have managed to get the image icon to appear on the diagram boxes.
I saw one could add a record flag or a condition. Thank you for warning me that I need to add a condition (not a flag)

There is no instruction in the book on how to set these icons. One has to go to the help button on the Boxes options.
And then a data references via the little dots. I was able to select the icon. And make it dependent on the present of an attribute.
I am sorry , I have forgotten how one sets a value for the condition? I sued the word match as in a query and that did not work.

At the moment I am not even thinking of my own tree and DNA matches. I am trying to restore my research data bases.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have been through the same process and now have an icon by anyone who has the Gedmatch attribute.
Thank you for working this out.
I am sorry to have been such a nuisance.
I did not need to go through the corrective procedure as I reverted to a preset and renamed the gif.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have spent the whole morning trying to restore the situation where the box icon shows conditional on a value for an atribute.
Event when I type in the data reference, in the correct place, it seems not be to be retained by the programme. i.e. it has no effect on the diagram display and when I reopen the box to edit the reference the condition is no longer there.
I am beginning to think that because I arrived from TMG, a flag may have been set for a particular value on the attribute. And an icon was then used to represent that flag.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect it is time for a screenshot or two of what you are doing.

If you use << Add Condition it is only posible to enter a valid Expression.
If you do not set any Box Features such as an Icon then the Condition will not be saved.

To test the value of an attribute the Expression will need to be something like:
=IsTrue( %INDI.OCCU% = "Value" )
where %INDI.OCCU% is the attribute Data Ref and for a custom attribute will start %INDI._ATTR-
and "Value" is the attribute value for the condition to be true.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. A good idea to use your example for occupation. I labelled Thomas Mann a writer and it all worked perfectly. But I was still unable to mark his wife as Jewish.
I concluded there might be something wrong with the set up of my attribute Group/Caste.
When I looked at it, the abreviation was set as Group/Caste which doesnt seem right?

According to my book on Gedcom by David Hawgood it should be CAST.
Changing the attribute abreviation to CAST has solved my problem.

I have no memory at all of making any alterations to the attribute after the import from TMG, so I guess a flag was set and the diagram icon in those early days was associated with the flag and not with the setting within the attribute.

I am sorry it has taken so long and so much distress on my part. It was brilliant of you to suggest I try it with your model.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure what you changed, but glad you have the result you wanted.
I presume the following Expression worked as desired:
=IsTrue( %INDI.CAST% = "Jewish" )
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Yes Mike. It did.
But only after I had edited the Attribute.

That is Menu icon / Tools, select / Fact Types, for some reason the abbreviation of the Fact type was incorrect - it was identical to the full name.

This was probably a TMG import issue which didnt arise till now since (as I now suspect) the diagram icon which used to be there may have been created by the import of a TMG flag?

The problem turned out to be in the Attribute abbreviation, not in the data reference.
But it took your example (which worked) to reveal where the real problem lay.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I do find that confusing, because the Abbreviation in a Fact Definition should not affect Data Refs or Expressions.

My Abbreviation for that standard GEDCOM Attribute is Group/Caste just like yours was!

So it must be some other change that made it work.
Try changing the Abbreviation back to Group/Caste and I wager it will still work.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, You have been very patient with me. I came on line to thank you. I need to go out now, but will come back to this and do as you suggest.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike. I have tried this several times. May be six times. Altering first the fact abbreviation and then editing the condition in the diagram/options/box/ menu

=IsTrue(%INDI.GROUP/CASTE% = "xxxx")
and I get the response each time "Expression is not valid".

I wonder why it worked for you and not for me?

I hope you will forgive me if I leave this now. Husband is rather annoyed that I spent all day yesterday worrying about a missing icon instead of writing. You have given it back to me. And I am really pleased. I dont like it when I cant work out what is going on with a computer or software. And it rocked my confidence in my ability to use fh.

I cant remember whether or not this particular attribute came in from TMG. It isnt an attribute I have used on my own family trees and my German place studies were created new in fh. I was quite surprised to know that you have the same abbreviation - which is not the GEDCOM abbreviation at all.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't change the Diagram Box Condition as the Data Reference must always be %INDI.CAST%.
Use the << Insert Data Ref.. button if not sure about the Data Reference.
The Label and Abbreviation only affect displays of facts, never their Data Reference.
That is why %INDI.GROUP/CASTE% is not valid.
Group/Caste (Tag=CAST) is a Standard GEDCOM Attribute:
CASTE_NAME:= {Size=1:90}
A name assigned to a particular group that this person was associated with, such as a particular racial group, religious group, or a group with an inherited status.