* RESN gedcom tag - how to implement in FH?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

RESN gedcom tag - how to implement in FH?

Post by Valkrider »

Following on from this post Media Files to Ancestry (17484) about restricting information about living to Ancestry I thought I would check the gedcom specification.

There is the RESN tag which is a restriction notice on several types of records.

This is what the spec says about the tag
RESTRICTION_NOTICE:= {Size=6:7}
[confidential | locked | privacy ]
The restriction notice is defined for Ancestral File usage. Ancestral File download GEDCOM files
may contain this data.
Where:
confidential = This data was marked as confidential by the user. In some systems data marked as
confidential will be treated differently, for example, there might be an option that
would stop confidential data from appearing on printed reports or would prevent that
information from being exported.
locked = Some records in Ancestral File have been satisfactorily proven by evidence, but
because of source conflicts or incorrect traditions, there are repeated attempts to
change this record. By arrangement, the Ancestral File Custodian can lock a record so
that it cannot be changed without an agreement from the person assigned as the
steward of such a record. The assigned steward is either the submitter listed for the
record or Family History Support when no submitter is listed.
privacy = Indicate that information concerning this record is not present due to rights of or an
approved request for privacy. For example, data from requested downloads of the
Ancestral File may have individuals marked with ‘privacy’ if they are assumed living,
that is they were born within the last 110 years and there isn’t a death date. In certain
cases family records may also be marked with the RESN tag of privacy if either
individual acting in the role of HUSB or WIFE is assumed living.

Family Historian sets Living as a flag. It would seem to me that it would be a good idea if this also set the RESN tag too. I have not found a way to set this tag in FH yet. Is there a way? If not is this something that one of the plugins such as Change Any Fact could do or is it write a new plugin? This presupposes, of course, that the receiving programme / website honours the RESN tag.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: RESN gedcom tag - how to implement in FH?

Post by tatewise »

You can set RESN (like many lesser used tags) via the All tab. Only applies to Individual records.
Right-click on person's name and select Add Miscellaneous > LDS > Add Restriction Notice then Locked or Privacy.
I don't think FH does anything with such RESN tags except reproduce them on Export.
There is no mechanism to hide/exclude such 'restricted' records in Diagrams, Reports, Exports, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks @Mike will have a play
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

It should also apply to Family records too according to the spec but better than nothing I suppose.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Valkrider wrote: 25 Feb 2020 09:43 It should also apply to Family records too according to the spec but better than nothing I suppose.
It does and you can set it in the all tab. You could write yourself a plugin to set them from the Living and or Private flag easily enough.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It only applies to FAMily records in GEDCOM 5.5.1 but not in GEDCOM 5.5 that FH complies with.

Sorry Jane, but I cannot see it on FAMily records in the All tab of FH nor in GEDCOM 5.5 on Page 24.

[ EDIT: I've just notice that in GEDCOM 5.5.1 the RESN tag can also apply to any specific Facts. ]
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jane

In the all tab you can set it for individuals but I tried the family and in miscellaneous > LDS it is not in the drop down unless I am doing it wrongly. Mike also said only Individual records.

Once I have finished the updates to my Wordpress plugin I will look at getting into LUA and write a FH one.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Opps, sorry I was looking at the wrong version.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What are you hoping to achieve Colin?
FH does absolutely nothing with RESN tags except retain them in the GEDCOM file.
They seem to only be associated with managing LDS FamilySearch records.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

@Mike

This has come about as a result of the work I have been doing on my Wordpress plugin and making sure that I honour the tag if it is present. My plugin allows the hiding of living people for normal site visitors and if the visitor has login credentials then living individuals can be made visible to them.

I was thinking out loud about the issue with privacy in general prompted by the Ancestry post mentioned earlier in the week and thought that as it is a tag that is supposed to prevent access to 'private' information more use should be made of it rather than using a custom tag as FH does today.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

... a tag that is supposed to prevent access to 'private' information ...
Up to you, of course, but I rather doubt that you'll ever see one - the fact that it's part of the LDS stuff and says that "Ancestral File download GEDCOM files may contain this data" indicate to me that it was defined for privacy solely in the context of a download from the AF part of the FamilySearch site. I think the AF part of the site is very much obsolete.
Adrian
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks @Adrian I have it in one of my test gedcoms but that is all.
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

I have seen RESN in GEDCOM files exported from FTM. I have not seen them elsewhere, but there are a lot of FTM users. I just added RESN tests to GEDCOM Assessment and I will be releasing a new version later today that includes those tests. Within a few weeks, the existing assessments will be updated to show which programs support RESN. Mike Tate has already evaluated RESN in FH.

Of the assessed programs, two web-site creators (“Genealogie Online” and “GedSite”) have good support for RESN. FH support is described in prior entries. Ancestral Quest ignores RESN. It remains to be seen what other programs do with RESN on import. After import, well, that requires in-depth knowledge of the various applications.

Valkrider, you should consider using assess.ged to evaluate your WordPress plug-in.

https://www.gedcomassessment.com
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

John

Thanks for that, I will carry on developing for that tag then. I have tried your current assess tool and am getting there slowly but surely.

Colin