* Media in books

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Media in books

Post by pwe »

I have finally decided to write a book, just for fun with no intention of publishing. I worked through the tutorial and have made reasonable progress starting the book. I wish to add media into the book but cannot find a way to do it. I can add media if it is linked to an individual or a source but I want to add a standalone media image (eg jpeg). I have searched the forum and the KB but can find little about books. Is it possible to do this and if so how?
many thanks ------Peter
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Media in books

Post by tatewise »

There are several options:
  • Use Publish > Media Report and customise Report > Options > Data Items to omit what is not required so that essentially only the Media image remains, and save that as a Custom Report Type, which can be inserted into the Book as an Other Report... and select the specific Media each time.
  • See how_to:report_content_multimedia_format_layout#book_free_page_content|> Book Free Page Content that explains how to use Blank Diagrams like a word-processor, and insert them into the Book as a Saved Chart.
  • Insert Blank Page (placeholder) pages where you want images, Save Book As > Word-processor Document and insert the images using a word-processor. It may be possible to do the same with a PDF File.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike,
Thanks for those suggestions. I had thought of trying to use a blank diagram but I thought I would ask first in case there was an obvious way.
I don't have a word processor programme, can you recommend a free one? I shall also pursue the blank diagram method.
many thanks ----- Peter
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Does the Media Report option not work for you?

There are lots of word-processor and PDF editing possibilities.

fhugdownloads:contents:irfanview|> Utility ~ IrfanView can not only perform many tricks with image files but also can insert images into PDF documents. So that would work with the Blank Page (placeholder) option. The only snag is that IrfanView turns every PDF page into a scanned image so it is no longer textual.

Every version of Windows has a built-in basic word-processor called WordPad which can handle the RTF files saved by FH but does not handle the embedded images at all well.

Popular free office software that includes a word-processor, spreadsheet, etc:
Microsoft Office Online looks and works just like its desktop equivalent but lacks a few advanced features.
Libre Office https://www.libreoffice.org/
Apache Open Office https://www.openoffice.org/
WPS Office https://www.wps.com/
and many more...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike,
I have not yet had time to try any of your suggestions, I was just assembling the tools to have a go at the problem. I have Irfanview and Wordpad so have something to work with. I have images of 18th century indictment and inquest and although I have a transcript of these the real thing, which is readable, will look much better in the book. If needed I shall download one of the free office software.
Thanks again for your help. ----------Peter
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike,
I have added the first two media images to my book and it was a complete success. I used the blank diagram method. This gave me plenty of scope to make adjustments to position and size etc and also to add a title. I am very pleased with the result and shall now add more media to my book.
many thanks === Peter