* Moving from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 one

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PeeBee
Family Historian: V7

Moving from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 one

Post by PeeBee »

I'm having problems with moving my data from a windows 7 PC to a new windows 10 one. I've followed the guide to backup and restore but the program will not play nicely. Despite all my project backups being present, it will not place them in the project window, I can only see the sample project. If I use the restore backup option, some of the project will load, but no media is imported despite it being in the saved project backup.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Moving from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 one

Post by tatewise »

The most likely explanation is that not all your Media files are held within your Project folders.
Therefore, they are not included in the FH Project Backups.
Alternatively, some Media record File Links are absolute rather than relative to the Media sub-folder.

Did you run the check at step 1) in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide?
That establishes the criteria for successful migration of Media files.

BTW: It is easier to copy the entire Family Historian Projects folder rather than Backup and Restore each Project separately.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

The media files are within the projects, I always include them within the backup, I can also see them within the project backup and open them.

Yes, I did carry out step 1.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a bit mysterious.
Do those FH Project Backups work Ok on the old PC?
i.e. Does File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup create a duplicate of your original Project with all its Media?

Maybe a daft question, but are you using File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup on the new PC.

Your original posting says you followed the guide to backup and restore, but the guide says nothing about backup and restore for Projects. It says COPY the Family Historian Projects folder. The backup and restore is only for the Plugin to migrate customisation settings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Originally, I copied the folder to the new PC and it was in the same folder as the sample project files - as it was on the old PC. This did not work; I could not open the project, it was not listed. I accessed the project by File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup which did create a duplicate appended with (2).

I now appear to have it working, having fiddled around with the 'File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup' and renaming the projects. I have transferred my files between Windows 7 installations in the past without problems - however I did not use the guide for backup and restore; I only used it this time because of the change of operating system.

Thanks for your help.