* Map locations not showing

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dkbutler13
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Map locations not showing

Post by dkbutler13 »

I'm a new user, and I'm trying to view my map with locations of my ancestors. I have watched the how to video on viewing maps, and I'm following the steps, but my map won't show any locations. I've searched the forums, and I'm not finding any issues as basic as mine. I'm sure I'm probably missing something basic, but I just can't figure it out.

I'm using v6. I went to "map window," selected "set tasks," "add marker set," made a name and selected individuals & places, selected my name from the record selection, hit "add relatives - ancestors - all," yet nothing shows up. I have a completely blank map. In the left pane with the names of everyone who is supposed to be showing, almost everyone has a little clock icon by their name, and I can't figure out what that means.

Also, a side question... I had been using the trial version. Today I purchased the program and entered my registration key. It said "key is valid and has been stored," however, when I go to run a plugin, it says that plugins can't be used with the trial version and that I need to purchase a copy. Any thoughts on this?

TIA!
Danielle
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Map locations not showing

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Danielle.

It seems that the Licence Key has not been fully registered. That occasionally happens.
Try following the how_to:family_historian_licence_problems#repeated_licence_details_request|> Repeated Licence Details Request advice to Run as Administrator while entering the licence details.

In the Map Window I think the clock icon means that FH is still trying to geolocate the Places.
Initially your Project may have a very large number of Places to geolocate but there is a quota limit per day to prevent overloading the server. See glossary:map_window|> Workspace 8: Map Window.
You have selected a lot of people with a lot of facts and thus a great many Places.

Try starting from the initial Focus Window and select the File Root person (probably you).
Now click the red pin Map Window icon in toolbar and choose Map Places for <chosen person>.
If necessary, wait until tomorrow to obtain a new daily quota. Does that work better?
Also try a similar exercise with the Family Historian Sample Project that should give an indication of want to expect.
Checkout Geocoding stopped - almost all the time (16609).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dkbutler13
Gold

Re: Map locations not showing

Post by dkbutler13 »

That all worked. Thank you so much for the help!