* Census Witnesses & Sentences

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Senelstune
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Census Witnesses & Sentences

Post by Senelstune » 01 Jan 2020 22:30

I am having some issues with witnesses and census events.

I am aware of previous discussions regarding Fact Witnesses and Witness Roles, Sentence Templates and Witness Sentence Templates and Override Templates for the Facts tab. I understand too that Fact Witnesses is not the recommended method for dealing with households of people recorded in the Census Events/Facts nor is it supported by AS.

I am going to use as the example one person, Margaret Coventry, who lived from 1813 to 1885 in the UK, so was present in 1841, 1851,1861, 1871 and 1881.

In 1841 and 1851, in the Facts tab she is shown as I would expect as the wife of the Head of Household with a blue arrow. A right click to reveal the Witnesses for the Census shows her correctly - she does not appear for those facts under the All tab.

However, for the Census events in 1861, (and the following 1871 and 1881) when she is the Head of the Household with a blue ball under the Facts tab I get “is recorded as the {role name} in Census on 4 April 1861 etc”. Right click to Witnesses for Census and she is there as expected with the role of Head of Household and she appears as expected under the All tab as Head of Household. I do not see why I am getting the words “role name” here and not the Override words to generate the role as being “Head of Household”.

So … I think I have made a mistake somewhere – maybe confusing Head of Household and principal, I dunno. Any assistance much appreciated.

john
Attachments
Facts Tab.png
Facts Tab.png (390.89 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Fact Definition & Override.png
Fact Definition & Override.png (337.21 KiB) Viewed 913 times
All Tab.png
All Tab.png (371.01 KiB) Viewed 913 times
1945 model, silver duco, no rust, log books, runs well ☺
Adrian John Snelson :: http://www.snelson.org/up/index.htm

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Census Witnesses & Sentences

Post by tatewise » 01 Jan 2020 23:16

It is because you have recorded her as Witness as well as being the Principal.

If you look at the Principal for 1841 and 1851 is he also recorded as a Witness? I suspect not.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Senelstune
Diamond

Post by Senelstune » 02 Jan 2020 11:23

Thanks Mike for your prompt reply.

Yes, you are right.

If I look at the witnesses for the 1861,1871 and 1881 Censuses, when Margaret is the Head of Household, she is indeed listed also as a Witness. I have deleted the Witness entry in the All tab for the Head however this does not seem to have any impact on the wording for the Head under the Facts tab - although it does remove them from (a) being mentioned as a Witness under the All tab and (b) the rightclick on the Fact, Witnesses for Census table.

So, to be clear, those removals do not change the Fact tab entry which still contains the words "{role name}".

Is there any way to delete the Witness entry for the Head in the All tab as well as fix the "{role name}" words in the Facts tab, across the entire project in one execution - as I think it affects every Head of Household in every Census Fact ?

john
Screenshot (38).png
Screenshot (38).png (288.4 KiB) Viewed 846 times
1945 model, silver duco, no rust, log books, runs well ☺
Adrian John Snelson :: http://www.snelson.org/up/index.htm

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jan 2020 11:55

I have had a closer look at your Fact Definition - Advanced Features and its Override Templates.
They are applied to the Principal regardless of whether there are any Fact Witnesses or not.
So the {role name} code is out of context and cannot be applicable in those Templates.
If you check the << Insert Code options it is not listed as a valid code.

However, the {individual} code should work, as should the other person codes such as {individual's} & {him/her}.
That should be reported to Calico Pie as a bug, but those person codes are not very useful in that context because in the Facts tab and Records Window it is obvious who is involved so they don't need to be named.

If you want that form of Facts tab Override Template then use the Roles > Edit > Advanced > Template option.
However, that will only apply to Fact Witnesses who are not also the Principal.
The FH rule is that when an Individual is both Principal and Fact Witness for the same Fact then only the Principal Templates are applicable.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry