* Adoptive v Birth parents

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Larryd
Family Historian: V6

Adoptive v Birth parents

Post by Larryd »

ONE OF MY COUSINS IS ADOPTED, AND HAS BEEN SHOWN AS SUCH IN MY TREE FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS.
HOWEVER, ONE OF HIS RELATIVES HAS BEEN DOING DOING A BIT OF RESEARCH INTO THE BIRTH PARENTS, WITH A FAIR AMOUNT OF SUCCESS.
HOW CAN I SHOW BOTH OF MY COUSIN'S SETS OF PARENTS IN MY TREE?
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adoptive v Birth parents

Post by BillH »

Select your cousin. Then use the menu command Add > Parent... and then select Yes on the pop up window that says that your cousin already has parents so that it will add one of the adopted parents. Fill in the details.

If desired you can mark your cousin as adopted by the new parents by selecting the newly added parent in the focus window. Then in the property box you will see your cousin shown in the children grid at the bottom. Click on the column marked Rel. next to your cousin's name and select a=adopted.

You can then add the husband or wife of the parent you added above.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Larry.

Bill's advice gives you the necessary clues, but has got the parents swapped around.
You already have the adoptive parents recorded and want to add the natural parents.

Because they have been added afterwards, the natural parents will be recorded as following the adoptive parents.
To reverse that, open the All tab of your cousin's Property Box and look for the two Parents family entries.
Select one of them and use the up/down black arrows top right to swap those two entries around.

Finally you could mark your cousin as adopted against the adoptive parents as Bill suggests.
You can also add an Adoption Event to say where/when the adoption happened.

See how_to:recording_children_with_foster_adoptive_parents|> Recording Children with Foster/Adoptive Parents for a summary of the above advice, and suggests an alternative method for creating the relationship between the child and both sets of parents.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Oops... your'e right. I didn't read it close enough. Thanks for clearing up my mistake Mike.

Bill