* Advice to using Historian on a Macbook Pro

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Rod Rahman
Family Historian: V6

Advice to using Historian on a Macbook Pro

Post by Rod Rahman »

Hi Everyone

It is likely that I am not the only person who has went to the darkside and started to use a MAC, for computer related life. However I would like to use Historian on my new toy (Macbook Pro), and was hoping that there is someone out there who has been through the same process and challenge.

In light of this can I ask if you have gone through the same transferal, can you advise me on the best, most efficient,. cost effective way of doing this???

All advice and assistance is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Rodders
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Advice to using Historian on a Macbook Pro

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Rodders.

Yes, there are several Mac users who run both FH and AS successfully and their accumulated knowledge is captured in the Knowledge Base articles listed below.
how_to:family_historian_on_imac_ipad_android_etc|> Family Historian on Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc under the Apple Mac section.
In particular the two most popular techniques are:
how_to:family_historian_ancestral_sources_on_oracle_virtualbox|> Family Historian & Ancestral Sources on Oracle VirtualBox which needs a Windows licence.
how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine which offers some totally free techniques, but with some caveats.

The method of migrating from your current Windows platform to a Mac platform is covered by:
how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide

Having reviewed those, please post any questions you have.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Rodders,

First, there's some advice/guidance here: https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... ndroid_etc

On the practicalities, which version of MacOS do you have installed? If it's Catalina (10.15 series) then WINE in it various forms (e.g. Crossover, WineSkin, PlayOnMac) then that is a non-Option at present because of Apple's decision to prevent 32-bit software and system calls from running, which only leaves virtualisation, i.e. running a real Windows OS (Vista, 2007 or later) as a Virtual Machine in side MacOS), or dual booting the Mac (Bootcamp), but that eliminates access to MacOS when running Windows.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is an update on Crossover for Catalina here: https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs ... s-catalina
They are promising a solution by the end of 2019.

Remember that virtualisation requires a paid for Windows Vista or later retail licence (an OEM licence won't work).
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Have just enrolled in the Crossover 19 beta testing programme and am downloading the newly released beta software for version 19 now (MacOS Catalina compatible). Will report success or otherwise with Family Historian 6 a.s.a.p.

Mervyn

Update Edit: Have now installed the Crossover 19 (beta 1) software and initial testing of Family Historian (an existing Crossover installation) shows 'normal' operation (i.e. as before MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) Upgrade). However a new installation of Ancestral Sources 5 was tried and failed (could not install the required .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 successfully). These initial test results have been provided to the Crossover Development Team.
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

I'm running FH under Windows 10 and VMWare Fusion on my iMac.

It works for me.
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Shane, that works because FH is running in a genuine Windows OS.
But there are significant costs both for VMWare Fusion (£70+) and Windows 10 (£100+) on top of the FH licence.

Thank you Mervyn for that feedback, which sounds promising.
I am not surprised that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is a problem, but so much Windows software relies on it that they will probably fix that in due course.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have just updated my MacBook with the latest beta of Crossover. I did not do a reinstall just an update of Crossover and so far there are no issues with Family Historian or Ancestral Sources. This is on Mojave not Catalina, my Air won't run Catalina as it is too old. :(
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

tatewise wrote: 20 Nov 2019 09:50 But there are significant costs both for VMWare Fusion (£70+) and Windows 10 (£100+) on top of the FH licence.
Wow, almost cheaper buying a Windows laptop just to run FH.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Encouraging. I've been having FH crashing on me lately. But might try uninstalling and reinstalling and giving it another go. I have a quite modern MacAir with Mojave.
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

tatewise wrote: 20 Nov 2019 09:50 Thank you Shane, that works because FH is running in a genuine Windows OS.
But there are significant costs both for VMWare Fusion (£70+) and Windows 10 (£100+) on top of the FH licence.
True, though Windows is a one-off cost, and Fusion is updated only occasionally, admittedly at a not insignificant cost - but I own both products. Crossover (which is new to me) comes with an annual rent which runs out around AUD85 a year, every year. A not insignificant cost either over the medium term.

Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

It's a crying shame that the two best genealogical applications I've encountered (TMG and FH) are both Windoze-only!

All the best
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Crossover costs £48 for 1st year of support, and 50% subsequently, i.e. £24 per year for annual renewal.
BUT you don't have to renew and can continue to use that last supported version perpetually.
There is no Windows licence cost.

So if renewed every year it would take 6 years to reach the £170+ outlay on VMWare Fusion and Windows 10 and take even longer if there were VMWare Fusion upgrade costs in that time. That sounds like a good deal.

Alternatively, consider the free Oracle VirtualBox in place of VMWare Fusion and save £70+.
Then you only need the Windows 10 licence cost.

I imagine similar figures would apply for Australian Dollars.
garethhowell
Platinum

Post by garethhowell »

tatewise wrote: 20 Nov 2019 09:50 Thank you Shane, that works because FH is running in a genuine Windows OS.
Even though it's not publicly advertised, it's still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 for nothing. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/. You can get Windows 7 installers for next to nothing.

Sure, it's a bit of a hassle, but that's how I got Windows 10 running inside VMWare on my Mac. Of course, I still had to buy VMWare Fusion.

Gareth
Gareth Howell
Researching HOWELL (Kent and South Wales), STILTZ/STILTS (London and Germany), DUNN (Norfolk)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gareth, that sure is a neat trick, but why buy VMWare Fusion when Oracle VirtualBox is free?
Then the only cost is a cheap Windows 7 licence.
garethhowell
Platinum

Post by garethhowell »

tatewise wrote: 26 Nov 2019 14:04 Gareth, that sure is a neat trick, but why buy VMWare Fusion when Oracle VirtualBox is free?
Then the only cost is a cheap Windows 7 licence.
True. I’ve not tried FH in virtualbox but I have other programs that behaved oddly in virtualbox. True, they involved network communications, but there is quite a trade off with VB. it’s a lot slower than VMWare. Your mileage may vary.
Gareth Howell
Researching HOWELL (Kent and South Wales), STILTZ/STILTS (London and Germany), DUNN (Norfolk)