* Installing FH on New Win10 Computer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Installing FH on New Win10 Computer

Post by BobWard »

Just got a new computer with Win10.

Downloaded the trail version of FH to the new machine- went fine.

Then I tried to activate the trial version by entering my FH license info.

Got out my printed copies of my FH license/purchase receipts.

1. Entered my License Name and Registration Key from my original purchase of FH. That did not work, got a message stating that the license name and key combination were not valid.

2. Repeated the process, but this time I entered the Registration Key for my FH6 upgrade. Same result - invalid name/key combination.

The error message said that upgrade keys will not work, so I assume that my original license data should be the correct combination, but that does not seem to be the case. I have tried entering the key number with & without the dashs - neither way works.

Update: OK, I figured out that I have to download the original V5 version and enter my V5 license data - that worked. I now have V5 running ok. Still trying to figure out how to get my V6 upgrade installed.
themoudie
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Re: Installing FH on New Win10 Computer

Post by themoudie »

Aye Bob,

As a technical numpty when it comes to this sort of thing, I too came to grief with this! :oops:

However, after reading this Guide in the Knowledge Base on this site, I managed to load FH on my new Win10 computer. It all appears to work, but I am not confident that the 'whistles and bells' from my old Win7 installation have been activated? I just find the intricacies of the software's capabilities very difficult to fit in my logic! :? As long as my GEDCOM and Project appear OK, then I am content.

Here is the link to the Knowledge Base, Installation Guide: Installation_guide

I hope this helps and if you are still confused after reading through it all, then others, far more experienced and lucid than me will add their knowledge/experience. :)

Good health, Bill
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You didn't need to install V5 first (although it won't matter that you have done).

The problem is that if your most recent purchase was an upgrade rather than a full version you can't use the V6 free trial download. Check out the advice at how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems:
What might cause ƒh to say your Licence Name and Registration Key are not valid?
The most common reason is you have tried to install a Trial Version and not the Software Download listed in your Licence E-mail.
If this is the case you must start the whole installation from scratch, and use the Software Download from the link on your Licence E-mail (or your archive backup of this file).
If you have lost the download link and didn't make an archive copy of it, contact Calico Pie as advised in the Knowledge Base and ask them to re-send it.
Lorna
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Thank you Lorna, that was another of my 'problems'! But Calicoe Pie were very helpful and supplied all the necessary information.

My regards, Bill
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Lorna,

Yes I have the V5 to V6 download link printed out (upgrade fh5 to 6.0.0 dl.exe)

But that link does not take me to FH.

This is confusing. Are we to use the original V5 purchase download link or the V6 upgrade link?

Since I already have V5 working, it would seem the V6 upgrade download link would be the one to use, but no luck.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Did you save a copy of the file you originally downloaded? If not, you will have to ask Calico Pie to resend it.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Bob, what you have printed out is just the abbreviated name of a live link. Do you still have the original email on your old computer? If so, click on the link in the email to download the installation file again. Othewise, as Helen and I have both said, you will need to contact Calico Pie as described in the Knowledge Base article.

When you have the file, save it on some medium independent of your computer in case you need it again in future.

As I said previously, you didn't need to install v5 first. You just needed the V6 upgrade installation file (the one that was sent to you, not the latest one from the FH website) and you will be asked to enter both your V5 and your V6 license keys, which you have printed out. That will install the v6 version which was current when you purchased the upgrade. You can then download the latest minor (free) upgrade from the FH website.

However as you have already installed v5 on the new computer the v6 upgrade will install over it and you will only have to enter the v6 licence details. But I am concerned that you say you have v5 "up and running". DO NOT start using v5 on your most recent data because it will remove all your Place records!! Wait until you have v6 on the new computer. Hopefully you still have an intact copy of your project(s) on your old computer.
Lorna
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

In case others have problems - often when you get flustered, check that not only are you installing the licence details in the version order requested, but that you are also inputting the licence name and the registration key in the right order!

A while ago when I was doing a reinstallation I had the Licence name and registration keys written down in the opposite order to that requested by the input screen. Took me a break and a cup of coffee to realise what I had been trying to do!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Lorna,
Yes I have the original download links. I will just uninstall v5 and start over.
Regarding loss of Place records - I was not going to Restore my Project backup file until I had FH up and running on V6. So no problem there.

Once V6 and my backup project file are in place, I will run the Settings plug-in to restore all my previous settings.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Update: clicked on the original V6 download link that was on my external backup drive and all went well. I now have the current version of V6 loaded and running. Thanks again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bob, checkout the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

Will you continue to run FH on both old and new PC?
If so, the above advice gives some pointers.

If you use AS then don't forget to migrate that too.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Will not continue to run FH on the old PC.

Don't use AS.

However, the Restore command will not work in my efforts to get the backup file loaded into the new computer

When I select Restore Backup and navigate to the zipped backup file on my external drive, then select the zipped file, I get a message that says "No items match your search". Amazing! I have done Restores before and never encountered any problems. Is this some bug in WIN10?

Picture attached.
Restore Backup zip File.jpg
Restore Backup zip File.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 13075 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You have forgotten how you did it before!
You must select the .zip file in the right-hand pane, with just the D: drive selected in the left-hand pane.
( There are no .zip file items within the compressed .zip folder you have chosen so the message is correct. )
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Mike, that zip folder in the left hand pane was created by FH as part of a full backup. I thought the Restore operation was supposed to unzip that folder.

Yes, it has been 3 years since I did a Restore, but I thought you just selected the backup zip folder and FH took it from there. Obviously I have forgot something.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Bob, I'm not sure how you got that window with a right and left pane. This is what I see:

Restore backup window.JPG
Restore backup window.JPG (51.33 KiB) Viewed 13015 times
The box at the top of the window shows path to the folder OneDrive>Family Historian Projects>Project Backups which contains the zipped backup(s). The list below (which in this example has only one item in it) shows the zipped FH Project Backup - Family Historian Sample Project - 2019-10-08 1656.
Have you somehow got one zipped backup inside another?

By the way, after installing your v5 to v6 upgrade, did you remember to download the most recent free minor upgrade? The latest is v 6.2.7.
Lorna
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Well, I just selected my external D drive and scrolled down to the FH zip folder. Clicked the FH zip file and got what you see in the screen shot. No, I have not zipped one inside another. Those zip files were created by FH Full Backup.

I looked inside the zip folder and all the FH data files & folders are there. I am puzzled as to what is going on. This is a new Windows 10 system in which I am still finding my way around in (been on WIN7 for many years). However, opening a file in WIN10 can't be that different than WIN7.

I will try copying that FH zip file to my C drive and see what happens.

Yes, I did do the free update to the newest V6 version.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Well, I copied the FH zip file to my C drive and then tried the Restore command again and everything worked fine. My FH project is now fully restored.

I have no idea why FH will not Restore from the external D drive - that is the way I have done it in the past with WIN7.

Any thoughts?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It will restore from the D:\ drive but that must be all that is selected on the left, so that the .zip files are listed on the right as in Lorna's screenshot, and as you would have done when they were copied to the C: drive.
There will be NO folders listed in the left pane, just the Elements D:\ drive as that is where the backup .zip files reside.

The mistake you made was to scroll down and select the .zip file into the left pane ~ don't do that, just select the drive.

Go back to your old Win7 PC and try and restore from the external D:\ drive and you will see the same rules apply.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Got it! Thanks for the explanation. Don't know why I did it that way to begin with, must the mental frustration of getting everything transferred to the new computer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't forget to use the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin, and please do follow all the other migration steps to ensure all your Media files migrate across correctly.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Yes, I ran the Restore Settings Plug-In.

Everything seems to have come across intact. I have the same stats on the Restored project as was on the old WIN7 machine.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The stats don't prove all your Media files were correctly transferred.
Have you actually performed the Tools > External File Links checks advised in step 6) ?
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Yes, all the Media files are there, with no unlinked files.

I always keep all my media files in the default FH media folder.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, it sounds like you are good to go :D