* Grandchildren with unknown parents

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Grandchildren with unknown parents

Post by ColinMc »

I have a press article that tells me that a lady is survived by 5 daughters. It later adds that she has three grandsons and one grandaughter. I know the names and husbands of all 5 daughters, and I know the name and parents of one grandson. So all possible parents are in the tree already.

How is it best to record the other 2 grandsons and the granddaughter. This is a differenat scenario to that outlined in how_to:recording_grandchildren#recording_grandchildren|> Recording Grandchildren.

My own feeling was simply to attach the information as a note to the Grandmother, until I can get more information.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Grandchildren with unknown parents

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I tend to put in an unnamed child with a note saying this is one or more of XYZ (the known children) but I don't know which yet; and then attach the grandchildren to that unnamed person -- that way they show up as individuals and are less likely to get overlooked as candidates when more evidence shows up.

Where and when are we talking about -- if England and Wales after 1837, since you know the names of the daughters and the husbands and some location info, you can search the GRO indices which given the mothers maiden names for clues as to where the children might sit in the tree.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you need to perform a little research.
You know the full names of all 5 pairs of parents, and the children's forenames.
So searching the GRO Index with each set of parents over a reasonable year range should find all their children.

If you have subscription for Ancestry or FMP then enter the father's surname as the child's surname but leave the forename blank or a wild card. Enter both parent's full names, enter as much location as reasonable, and set a wide date range. That should list all potential children, and eventually will identify those grandchildren.

Without any subscription use fhugdownloads:contents:service_uk_gro_online_index_search|> Service ~ UK GRO Online Index Search for free, with similar details, but you can only search a 5 year range at a time.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Must admit I like this idea
I tend to put in an unnamed child with a note saying this is one or more of XYZ (the known children) but I don't know which yet; and then attach the grandchildren to that unnamed person -- that way they show up as individuals and are less likely to get overlooked as candidates when more evidence shows up.
All were born in Canada. I will get some research done, but it is not an immediate priority yet.

Thanks
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families