* Viewing sources ?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
agray1949
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Viewing sources ?

Post by agray1949 »

I am very new to F.H. as I only purchased it 2 weeks ago so my question may appear a bit silly.
My original tree was on Ancestry & I transferred it to F.H via Rootsmagic so that my media files would also be imported, this appears to be OK (so far).
On Ancestry I could view census records (transcript & actual record) very easily but am not sure how I view them on F.H. also I notice on the focus page that some certificates appear alongside any photos.
What is the best way to store & view certificates & records.
davidf
Megastar

Re: Viewing sources ?

Post by davidf »

You will probably get many contrasting answers to this question!

If you have managed a successful import and you have a lot of media images you may want to let things lie!

Ideally your media files have all ended up in the media subdirectory of the relevant project folder which is the best place to physically store them. If you are not using the project functionality (which keeps everything associated with a Gedcom file in a set of folders) you may want to consider doing so. Read up on the Knowledgebase about Projects for guidance. Be very careful about moving media files outside of FH (such as using Windows File Manager) as this upsets the links.

The advantage of using the project's media subdirectory is that all the links to media in the actual Gedcom file point to the physical same place relative to your gedcom - which makes later moving/sharing of the entire project far easier.

In the main FH records window there is a tab for Media - which shows all the media that has been linked to records in your Gedcom file. You rarely have to go into this area - but it is useful for sorting out problems.

You can link your media files to various places in your Gedcom file.

Each individual has a "media" area - accessible via the media tab in the property box. This is the ideal place to link any photos of people that you want to appear in diagrams and reports.
Your question might indicate that you have certificates in this area.

Media of things like birth or marriage certificates or census records etc. are best linked to the birth marriage or census fact etc. Quite how you do this depends on which of two approaches you take to managing sources. You need to find out which approach the import process has taken and then consider if you wish to stick with this method.

Lumping. If you treat "1881 Census" as a single source, when you link anyone to the 1881 Census you link to this source and then in the "Where in Source" field you say specifically where in the Census (Enumeration District, page etc.). This works in the same way as an academic citation, where your source might be "Churchill, The Gathering Storm (W&N 15 Jan. 2015 ed)" and the citation ("where within source") could be "Page 67".

Splitting. If however you treat the actual page of the census as the source, you only link it to the people who appear on that page and the source would be "1881 Census, Enumeration District XX, page YY" etc. and the "Where in Source" field is redundant.

If you "Lump" you can link the media to the fact (using the show media button) in the left hand side of the property box (about half way down between the list of facts and the fact detail).

(You can also link it to the citation using the show media button* in the right hand ("Source" ) side of the property box (you may have to click on the Show Source icon at the top of the property box).

If you "Split" you will link you media to the source though the show media button* in the right hand ("Source" ) side of the property box (you may have to click on the Show Source icon at the top of the property box.

* Note that when you click on this icon you get a dialogue box asking if you want "Citation Media" or "Source Record Media" - you need to choose the correct one depending on whether you are lumping or splitting.

As I said earlier this decision may have been made for you by the import process. You need to determine which approach has been taken and whether you are happy with that decision. Changing is a major operation if you have more than a few media or sources.

In terms of "viewing" media such as certificates, you can use the show media button which brings up a dialogue - which has a view button which gives a number of options - find which you prefer.

Others will no doubt contribute, but you may want to clarify exactly what you are wanting to do. For instance when you say "view" media, do you mean in diagrams or reports?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I guess you followed the advice in how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website to download the Media by using the how_to:import_from_roots_magic|> Import from RootsMagic (RM) method, which should result in a Project with Media files as advised by David.

When you joined you were advise to study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that provides links to features that new users often ask about. One of those is Sources Methods 1 & 2 which expands upon the advice provided by David.

See also the how_to:index#recording_facts_and_sources|> Recording Facts and Sources that has specific advice for how_to:recording_census_records|> Recording from a Census Record.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
agray1949
Gold

Post by agray1949 »

I have taken your advice and looked at the Knowledge base information but had no success but on further checking it would appear that the data I was expecting to see was not transferred to F.H or Roots magic.
I have taken some screenshots of the issue I have but am not sure how I can attach them to this message as I am getting an error message to say it is too large.
Hopefully you can find an answer to my original query otherwise it looks as if I will have to attach nearly every piece of media I have in my tree.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

You will have to open the photos in an image viewer and then resize them. I can't remember the size it has to be, but it is around 150-200kb
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
agray1949
Gold

Post by agray1949 »

Resizing is definitely beyond me so I will have to seek more help & get back to you
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

If you are using a windows pc, right click on the image and pick open with Paint. When it opens, in the home screen there is an icon that says resize. Click on that and a small window will open and in that window change from percentage to pixels, there is also a Maintain Aspect Ratio tick box (make sure it has a tick in it, if not click on it to get a tick in it) change the figure in the horizontal or vertical box (which ever is larger) to around 1000 and click OK. Then click the Save icon up in the top left corner that looks like an old floppy disk, Job done. The file should now be small enough in size to upload to the forum.

Hope this helps
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice on posting screenshot attachments.

I am confused about what has or has not transferred from Ancestry via Rootsmagic to FH.
In your original posting you said media files imported and "this appears to be OK (so far)".
But now you are saying data you were expecting to see was not transferred.
This may be down to unfamiliarity with FH versus Ancestry/Rootsmagic.
If you can be more specific about what exactly the problems are rather than vague references.
i.e. Give a specific example of what Ancestry data or media that is not evident in FH.
Then we can explain where to look &/or how to search for it, etc.
I suspect it is largely down to only having FH for 2 weeks.
agray1949
Gold

Post by agray1949 »

My initial query has (I think) been resolved. What I was actually looking for was the view media button on the yellow source box.
The reason I could not find what I was looking for was because it was not in the source records.
When I look in my computer documents folder at F.H. projects there is a folder for my tree media which has 769 items, none of which is the transcript page from Ancestry. This transcript page is a PDF file.
When I look at "All media" on F.H there are 793 items (I have added a few since the original transfer).
When I look at the source records in F.H there are only 147 items.
Hopefully the attached PDF file will show what I was looking for initially.
Attachments
1891 Census - George Fordyce.pdf
(34.62 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Media files including PDF can be attached in various positions within the FH GEDCOM database.

Let's start with George Fordyce. Presumably you can open his Individual record Property Box.

Open the Media tab. What Media are listed? Does that include the PDF you are looking for?

Open the Facts tab. Is there an 1891 Scotland Census fact listed?
If so, then does it have a Media icon in the More column?
If so, then select that 1891 Scotland Census fact and click the Show Media button in centre of toolbar below.
In the Media for Fact dialogue ensure Include Citation Media is ticked.
Is the PDF you are looking for listed? If so, then the View button and Open in Editor/Player should show it.

If no Media icon in the More column, then is there a Source listed in the yellow sources pane?
( You may have to click the yellow scroll Show Sources button in top right toolbar. )
Select each such Source and click the Show Media button in centre of toolbar below.
Does that reveal the PDF you are looking for?

If that still does not reveal the PDF, then please give more details of how it is linked to George Fordyce within the Ancestry database. It may be that Ancestry does not consider it to be a Media file, and thus does not download it as an attached file.

To be honest, I thought Ancestry just links a Census fact (or does it prefer a Residence fact) to its database Census record, and not a PDF file. Copyright restrictions probably prevent it downloading such Census records with the exported GEDCOM file. So the attached Media you get is severely limited. There is nothing that FH or any other genealogy product such as RootsMagic can do about that.

As a matter of interest, how did you create the PDF file attached to your last posting?
Is saving the transcript as a PDF an option in Ancestry?

The online 'giants' such as Ancestry and FindMyPast play by their own rules, and don't even implement the GEDCOM standard very well.
agray1949
Gold

Post by agray1949 »

In answer to your post.
Yes I can open the Individual record property box

The media tab does NOT include the PDF (just some JPEG photos)

The facts page does not show an 1891 census therefore no media icon but it shows a residence fact with a note icon but when I click on the icon there is no note.

Yes there is a source listed in the yellow source box which when opened shows Title, Sho… , Act..., Rep....

When selecting the source & clicking the show media button there is no media (this is what I was looking for originally)

It looks like as you say Ancestry prefer Residence fact so it looks as if I will have to add the PDF myself.

Ancestry do NOT show the actual Scottish census record, unlike in England & Wales where you can view the record. That has to be purchased separately from Scotland's people which I have done in some cases. In fact Ancestry do not show any 1911 Scottish census records yet so I had to get that one from S.P. Any Scottish census records which I have purchased had to be copied as JPEG to enable me to add them to Ancestry but were not transferred so that will also have to be added by me.

As for the PDF file which I attached & am glad to see that it worked.

When searching on Ancestry when I came across a census record I would save it to my tree, print a hard copy for my folder & also Microsoft print a PDF copy to my folder on my computer. This was the one which I attached with surprising ease.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That seems to clarify everything satisfactorily.
Yes, you will have to update some Sources manually (perhaps via Ancestral Sources).
Also those Residence need converting to Census facts using the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin as mentioned in how_to:import_from_ancestry#general_advice|> General Advice.

BTW: When a Fact has icons in the More column, they are NOT clickable links.
You must select the Fact and then its Note appears below.
Its Media are via the Show Media button, or via right-click on the Fact.
Its Witnesses are via the cog Menu > Witnesses, or via right-click on the Fact.
agray1949
Gold

Post by agray1949 »

Thanks Mike
I have seen the change any fact in the Knowledge base & downloaded it but how do I get to it on my tree.
Please excuse my ignorance of computer things
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You really need to get into the how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Among the topics is Plugins but there are many others to get to know about.
See plugins:about|> About Family Historian Plugins.

Once you get the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin running you will probably need to use the Date filter so only the appropriate Residence facts get converted to Census facts. But that depends on how well your Residence Date fields reflect Census Dates. That may require some preliminary adjustments with another Plugin.
The Lookup Missing Census Facts: Determining Factors (14722) thread goes through the process.