* Rules for Names Appearing in ISR Index

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Rules for Names Appearing in ISR Index

Post by BobWard »

I just generated an "ISR with Index" report from a Named List.

My parent's records are not in the Named List, yet their names appear in the Index. My record is in the Named List.

Each of my parent's names are referenced to the page number associated with the first page that I appear on in the ISR.

It is true that they are listed as my parents on my first page but their records are not in the Named List.

So why are they appearing in the ISR Index when their records are not in the Named List used to generate the ISR?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Rules for Names Appearing in ISR Index

Post by Jane »

Everyone mentioned in any Family Historian report will be included in the Index. If you only want a list of people of whose ISR reports are included use the Table of Contents option of the Books.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, for example I have produced an ISR for only Anthony Edward MUNRO in the Family Historian Sample Project.
The Index lists many people: Anthony himself, his parents, his two wives, and his children.

The Index is like any reference book index, and can list all People, Places & Attributes mentioned in the Report, and the same goes for any of the popular reports.
If the ISR includes multiple Individual records (as in your case), and the same person is mentioned not only in their own page but also on the pages of relatives, then they will appear in the Index with multiple Page cross-references.

In the Report > Options > Index tab click Help for more details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by BobWard »

Interesting. I did not realize that FH was smart enough to be searching the parents, children, and spouse fields on each Individual Record to include those additional names in the ISR Index. I had assumed that it would limit the Index names to only the Individual Record names for each person in the Named List.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FH is not being that smart, as it has to search those fields to include their details in the Report.
Bear in mind that only the people included in the Report will appear in the Index.
If for example, you customise the ISR to exclude Parents, then they don't get listed in the Index.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry