* Living/Private

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Living/Private

Post by GeneSniper »

Quick question but not sure how to ask it. If I use a birth certificate as a source with image for someone (child) and marked them as private and living and then also use the source for someone else (parent) who is now dead and not private. Would the image show up if I export a Gedcom with images and sent to someone as the source would be used in a private and non private person. What I am saying is I wouldn't want someone's birth certificate to accidently appear, so can I mark the certificate as private?
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Living/Private

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Yes -- it would show up -- you can't mark an entire source as private.

What I do is give the source a short title/long title such as Birth Certificate of X (stripped of all identifying details such as name, date, district etc, depending how sensitive they are). I enclose the Text from Source in [[ ]] privacy markers, ditto any Source notes that need privacy.

So, I can still see all the details in my file, but they don't get published or exported (as long as the settings on publication/export are correct and exclude Private Notes).

Note: Privacy markers only work in 'long text fields' labelled Notes plus a few others (according to the fH help)
such as "Address" fields, or the "Text from Source" field on SourceCitations and Source records. If a field does not allow multiple lines of text to be entered into it, it does not support private notes.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Had that feeling when I asked Helen. I was just hoping that if a person was marked as private that I would be able to mark their certificates as private to stop them showing up by accident. Especially if I was going to upload the information online, I suppose it would be safer to mark as private and not upload images. Thanks for that.
William

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I use my method because it demonstrates that I do have a source, even if I'm not willing to publish details.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I offer some further advice and clarification.
  1. It is not advisable to attach photos of people to Source records.
    The Media tab in Source records is meant for images of the source document such as a Birth Certificate.
    Photos should be attached to the Individual (or Family) record Media tab, or to the Facts.
  2. The Living and Private flags have NO impact on exported GEDCOM files. Everything is included.
    The only option is to excluded square bracketed [[private]] Notes, Text From Source, etc.
  3. Reports have Privacy tab options to omit details & media of Individual records with Living or Private flags.
    But that does NOT have any impact on Sources.
  4. Regarding uploading online, please be more specific.
    The FH Publish > Create a Website wizard uses the Report options mentioned above to hide details.
    Websites such as Ancestry and FindMyPast automatically hide living person's details, but you may not trust that.
    Anyway, they use DoB & DoD rather than Living & Private flags that are only understood by FH.
    Otherwise, use the advice in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media.
    Especially in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.
    There are also issues with copyright of both photo & document images when uploading online.
When you have a clearer understanding of which mechanisms apply, then you may have more questions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 24 Sep 2019 14:03
[*] It is not advisable to attach photos of people to Source records.
William seems to be talking about Source images, not photos of people.
tatewise wrote: 24 Sep 2019 14:03 The only option is to excluded square bracketed [[private]] Notes, Text From Source, etc.
[*] Reports have Privacy tab options to omit details & media of Individual records with Living or Private flags.
But that does NOT have any impact on Sources.
I think that's what I said!
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi Mike

1 Didn't mean photo, meant image of Birth Certificate. That was why I said "I wouldn't want someone's birth certificate to accidently appear"

4 If they automatically hide living persons details, why might I not trust these sites to keep living people private? It was what I was meaning by the online comment, whether adding my information to say Ancestry via a Gedcom would pop someone's birth cert up who was still alive and thanks you comment above answers that question, sort of.

Thanks for the information though.
William

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I kind of misread the original posting, and now see it meant just the Birth Certificate. Sorry :oops:

Helen: I was clarifying that Living & Private flags mentioned by William have no impact on exporting (nor uploading).

When uploading GEDCOM to such as Ancestry and FindMyPast forgot to say automatic uploading of Media images does NOT happen, any images must be uploaded manually one by one. So you control what Media appears online, but beware copyright.

There are many users here who express concerns about uploading living person details and relying on the website tools to hide the details. There is also the matter of Data Protection laws. Have you permission to publish personal data online?

In addition to all that, Ancestry and FindMyPast have their own idiosyncratic dialect of GEDCOM, so it is advisable to use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to ensure most of your data is preserved in their format. Also for example, Ancestry offers better 'hints' for Census Records if Residence facts are used instead of Census events, so the Plugin has an option for that.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

I was just looking at the Heredis app for android and while doing so had a quick look at the Heredis 2019 demo. I noticed that you seem to be able to make everything private, from notes, to citations to a complete person and all with a tick box at each section. I can't comment on anything else about the software, other than it seems to be quite well thought out and has a more modern feel to it than FH (I found it a bit fiddly when trying to enter a new person compared to FH, but I guess that is the same when you have a look at anything for the first time).
William

davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

WilliamFrier wrote: 24 Sep 2019 11:27 Quick question but not sure how to ask it. If I use a birth certificate as a source with image for someone (child) and marked them as private and living and then also use the source for someone else (parent) who is now dead and not private. Would the image show up if I export a Gedcom with images and sent to someone as the source would be used in a private and non private person. What I am saying is I wouldn't want someone's birth certificate to accidently appear, so can I mark the certificate as private?
One of the ways I have used (a bit similar to Helen's approach) is to create a "global non-specific" Source "Cross Reference to Birth Record" and then in the (dead) parent fact use this source in the citation and in the "Where within Source" field put sufficient detail to know whose birth record. Then in the living child fact use the actual Birth Certificate as the source. I guess if instead you use the "Text from Source" field and privacy brackets you can achieve your aim?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)