* All addresses in an area

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PeterWieland
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

All addresses in an area

Post by PeterWieland »

I am going on holiday to Kent in the near future, and would like to visit as many places as I can that are linked to my ancestors.

I have tried every which way I can to get a list of addresses in Kent with the individuals associated with those addresses.

The custom 'Census Addresses 1841 to 1911' does produce a lot of the information I need, but it would need a lot of processing in Excel to get it in the correct format, and it doesn't include addresses from BMD certificates etc.

I can't even find a way of producing just a list of addresses; the Places query doesn't list many of the street addresses I know are recorded from census.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: All addresses in an area

Post by Jane »

You could simply use a fact query I have done a quick one so you can simply enter Kent and if the fact contains Kent somewhere in it, it will be listed.

It also prompts for a record so you show the relationship to a selected person.
All Facts containing Text.fhq
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
PeterWieland
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by PeterWieland »

Thanks Jane, I knew it would be a simple answer!

I may have been over-thinking the problem!
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I am rather slow at understanding techniques in fh. Is a query always better?

Why should one not simply use the binocular text search?
Tho I see on my project that search also brings up Kentish Town and Kent in Washington USA.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as with most software products, there are alternative ways to achieve the same objectives.
Edit > Find, Queries, Plugins and Search and Replace Plugin in Search Only mode are alternatives with various pros & cons.

With the binocular Edit > Find you can tick Match whole word to avoid Kent matching Kentish.
Also tick Match case to ensure upper/lower case letters match.

If you have consistently formatted Place fields then Search for: Kent, England or similar to avoid matching Kent anywhere else.

Similar advice applies to Queries and Plugins.

Edit > Find can only find one text string and returns all records that match.
Queries offer more options to search for multiple text strings, filter the results to particular records, etc, etc.
Plugins take those options one step further.
BUT Queries and Plugins are progressively more difficult to master than Edit > Find.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

If you thypr an address on the search browser youmay find t will come up at the address you are looking for. Just bear in mind many old addresses have disappeared over the years