* Issue with view media files in the Focus Window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
IreneMo
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Issue with view media files in the Focus Window

Post by IreneMo »

My media files are stored in within the project in the default media folder. I use FH within Crossover on my Mac OS Sierra.

I have noticed that I have a blank box with a cross where I used to have photos beside individuals in the Focus Box. However on the media tab in the properties box the links and photo images appear.

When looking at the media files the links are still there and are correct. If I try to add the media files in again I get a message stating these already exist which I can understand. Confused? Can someone help me and explain what I'm doing wrong.

I've search through the database but can't find any similar topics.

Thanks
Attachments
Media Record
Media Record
Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 23.56.33.png (102.13 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
Media images in Properties Box
Media images in Properties Box
Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 23.53.37.png (74.74 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
Focus Window with lost media images
Focus Window with lost media images
Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 23.50.38.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Issue with view media files in the Focus Window

Post by tatewise »

That is very mysterious Irene.
Usually the X indicates a broken Media File link, but the links you have posted are OK.

I wonder if something else is not quite as it seems, so please perform the following.
  • Use Tools > External File Links and check if there are any X icons against any media.
    You can do much the same in the Media Window and check all the thumbnails on the right.
  • Use Tools > Preferences > Focus Window and tick Record Ids in the middle.
    Now in the Focus Window, do the [Record Id] match those in the Property Box caption?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
IreneMo
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by IreneMo »

Hi Mike

Tools >External File Links show X icons against media see attachment. I checked the documents with X were in the folder documents\family historian projects\Morrison\morrison.fh_data\media\ .... The documents were but what I noticed is all the media files with the 'in Icloud' icon had the missing link.

I'm not sure I understand what is going on here. I then went into the family historian media file for this project, opened the first missing X link '1901 Scotland Census ...', closed the file. The 'in Icloud' icon then disappeared. I then performed the same function again Tools >External File Links show X icons against media see attachment and there was no longer an X icon against the '1901 Scotland Census .... ' - see screenshot showing external links V2.

Is this something to do with my Mac and how Icloud works?

I also checked the Tools Preferences Focus Window and Record IDs and can confirm that the Focus Window the record IDs match this in the Property Box.

Thanks
Irene
Attachments
Screen Shot showing Ext Links V2.png
Screen Shot showing Ext Links V2.png (33.51 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
Screen Shot showing External Links.png
Screen Shot showing External Links.png (34.81 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

File that are only in the cloud are not actually on your machine.
They are only called down when required to be displayed.
In OneDrive there is an option to keep all copies of cloud files on your machine.
Is there a similar option in iCloud?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry