* Everyone v All Relatives chart

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
polomora
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Everyone v All Relatives chart

Post by polomora »

Hello,

I've been using FH on and off for about a year, and so far have been impressed. Also my direct family have been impressed with the FT chart it generates. This is the problem I now have. My many cousins and other relatives would like a copy, which means rebasing the generated chart each time for each family member. I thought that it would be more easier and more meaningful to generate just one chart, that shows everyone.

I tried the View -> Standard Diagram Types -> Everyone option. This option generates a diagram similar to an inverted pyramid, where names seems to have been dropped randomly everywhere in the chart. When I generate a chart for a specific person, all relatives of the same generation are shown at the same level, as expected. With the Everyone option, this is not the case and the diagram is pretty useless.

Is this the intention?

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by polomora on 26 Aug 2019 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Everyone v All Relatives chart

Post by tatewise »

Although the Everyone diagram does show everybody, it is NOT a pretty chart.

The All Relatives diagram is more attractive, but may not show all your cousins.
However, this is the better option and we can help with the details if necessary.
Maybe some of the Diagram Options need adjusting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Paul,
I generate All Relatives diagrams quite frequently for family members.

The steps I follow are:

1. Select the person in the Focus window that you are going to generate the diagram for. Right click their Focus window box and set them as the Root person.

2. Go to the menu strip at the top of the screen and click the All Relatives Diagram icon. That should instantly create your diagram. Regarding your comment "where names seems to have been dropped randomly everywhere in the chart", I am not seeing that type of behavior in my diagrams, i.e., mine appear to be very logically structured.

3. Once the diagram appears, you can adjust the diagram layout by clicking on Diagram>Options. Under the General tab, you will see an Orientation box in the upper right hand corner. I always set that to be Right-left.

4. I have my diagram options set-up to always display the Relationship to the Root person in each individual's box that appears in the diagram. That allows the person that you are creating the diagram for to always see how they are related to every other person in the diagram. This option can be set-up as part of the desired Text Scheme that can be accessed via Text tab, that resides next to the General tab mentioned above. If you are unfamiliar with editing the Text Schemes, report back and we can provide further detailed instructions.
polomora
Gold

Post by polomora »

@tatewise,

Thanks for the reply.
I was hoping to generate one chart that I could then distribute to everyone.
Is there any particular reason that the formatting for Everyone chart is so poor, given that the auto-formatting for the other charts works very well?

@ BobWard,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Everyone chart is formatted that way to ensure that every family group is included.
It is not possible to ensure that absolutely everyone is included in an All Relatives diagram, where only blood relatives and their spouses are included, so some relatives by marriage may be omitted.

There are some refinements to Bob's suggestions.

It is only necessary to select the person in the Focus Window ~ they do NOT need to be made File Root.
Alternatively, by using View > Standard Diagram Types > All Relatives there is a prompt to choose the tree Root Person.

Then in the Text Scheme set the Relationship Template to
=Relationship(%CUR_TREE_ROOT%,%INDI%,TEXT,1)
instead of
=Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%,TEXT,1)

Depending who you choose as the tree Root Person it may be possible to produce a single All Relatives diagram that includes everybody you want, but if you included relationships as suggested by Bob then they will be with respect to one person (either the Tree Root or the File Root).

It is possible to insert sub-tree diagrams for any missing branches so everybody you want is included.

Also remember it is sensible to Save Diagram as a Family Historian Chart that preserves the tree Root Person and the Diagram Options. That way you can save a diagram focussed on each family member and easily recreate it as and when required. Note that it is not a static diagram but will dynamically update to the latest database contents with new facts and people being automatically included.
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

How do I set options for the All Relatives chart to make it legible but printable in a practical way for a family reunion? I do have a relative in the UK with access to a printer that will do AO size or under. I am trying to print 10 generations, but perhaps I need to scale that down. ? Any tips on formatting changes, i.e. font size, margins, paper size, will be welcome.
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram that has much advice.

In Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) the Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits into One Page default option should produce a PDF file that will automatically scale to print on A0 paper.

There are a great many Diagram Options that affect the overall size of a Diagram.
One of the most significant is the Text Scheme chosen and thus how much detail is in each box.
If necessary reduce that to one of the Names, Dates schemes.
The Dimensions tab has several useful adjustments.

Do perform some trial runs well beforehand to see what works best, including sending the PDF off to your relative.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

When doing charts for reunions etc, I tend to print them centred on the shared relation for the get together. So for my Dad's maternal cousins I centred the diagram on the shared Grandparents.

To keep the diagram compacts I used short text scheme with just the name, reference number, life dates and birth place.

Along side I printed off all the Individual Narrative reports for people in the diagram sorted by surname and first name, so people could look up more information for the people on the tree. If you have lots of people from all over the world, you could include flags under the boxes using expressions to set them.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

I am working my way through the Knowledge Base article. Thank you both for the extra tips.

Unfortunately, it's my husband's brothers so they share all their ancestors. I had thought to do narratives for a few interesting people and those that the family 'iffy' theories of. They will never believe me, so I need to include extra documentation! ;)
Kathleen
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

I just made today a one page PDF following the instructions in Knowledge Base. It worked a treat even though I use a different PDF application (Primo PDF). I had never tried it before because I wrongly assumed it would be barely legible, which is not the case!
Anne
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Mine was going to be 7 ft tall or thereabout, so I took Jane's advice and did separate maternal and paternal ancestry charts. My husband will have the all-relatives chart on Dropbox for reference. The KB article was helpful, though.
Kathleen
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

They do get quite big, the one I made for Dad's cousins was 18 feet by 6 feet and we had to roll it out on the patio of the hotel. My Grandmother was one of 14 children all of whom lived to adulthood.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Just a couple of second cousins then, Jane
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *