* Best way to put in Residence

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Best way to put in Residence

Post by GeneSniper »

Quick question, what is the best way to put in a citation or three for the same address? Should I put in each residence citation individually or if for myself say, I know I stayed in the same house for 20 years and my children were born there and a few other things, is it better to have a residence between two dates and just attach each citation to that one residence fact?
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Best way to put in Residence

Post by tatewise »

There is no absolutely 'best way' for such circumstances of the same Residence with multiple Citations.
Similar situations arise for somebody who has the same Occupation, or same Possessions, or Physical Description.

The case where you personally know the circumstances apply over a period of time is a rarity, and you would have to enter a signed declaration as the Citation to cover the entire period.

The purist would probably record a separately dated Fact for each separate Citation because that is all that can be asserted from the available documents.

But it can result in tediously repetitive details in Diagrams and Reports, etc.
So pragmatists may record one Fact covering a date period and sharing all the Citations, but possibly with a Note explaining the assumption about the date period.

Thus the 'best way' is the one you feel most comfortable with.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Thanks Mike,

It just looked a bit neater having it all under a time span rather than individually. I was actually expecting someone to tell me that if I did it under a time span, I wouldn't be able to find them while filtering or something like that. It was my reason for asking. No point in losing functionality over tidiness :D .
William

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It depends on what 'filtering', etc, you had in mind.
May be a bit more complex if the filter is asking if somebody was Resident at a particular place in say a specific year.
With single dated Residence facts then only one year is recorded and thus easily tested for equality.
With a date period, the specific year may not be mentioned, so must test for between first year and last year inclusive.
Also there may be no actual Citation for that specific year, so were they actually resident at that place in that year?
(There are ways of doing that first/last year test, which also work for a single date, but gets more awkward for such as From 1900 or To 1900 where the other end of the period is undefined.)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Well that puts paid to my Tidiness Theorem, back to Chaos Theory for the moment.
William