* 'Diacritics' used as indexing term also

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
pspooner
Family Historian: V6

'Diacritics' used as indexing term also

Post by pspooner » 25 Jul 2019 02:37

Hi, I realize I'm about as new as they come, only having downloaded the free trial today but very very quickly I was stymied by trying to find out how to add an 'n' with a tilde over it for a Surname. I hunted until I found the term 'Character Map' but my first inclination was to search for 'diacritics' --- which was fruitless in the Help function from within a project as well as in the forum. Suggestion: could not the term 'diacritics' be added in the algorithm as a synonym for 'character map' , if that's the correct way of putting it? Diacritics are a lot more than accents info which I found fairly easily.
Thank you for your patience.
Pam

Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: 'Diacritics' used as indexing term also

Post by Valkrider » 25 Jul 2019 06:06

Pam

This is just and independent user to user help forum, there is no direct link to Calico Pie the authors of Family Historian. What you suggest is something only they can add to the help file within Family Historian so you should pass this suggestion direct to them.

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 25 Jul 2019 08:00

If you have not found the option yet just hold down the n key and you will be prompted for n characters.

The section in the help is
"Configure Language and Accent Characters Dialog"
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

mjashby
Superstar

Post by mjashby » 25 Jul 2019 08:14

Pam,

You need to think about 'accepted' Microsoft Windows methodology and terminology, i.e. you are attempting to use a MS Windows feature which is available in the vast majority of Windows applications, not a specific Family Historian (FH) feature. FH simply 'taps in' to that basic MS Windows functionality to allow you to select and choose specific characters.

The standard shortcut way to quickly get a range of character options in most Windows applications is to press and hold the relevant letter and watch for a small pop-up selection box. Please try that in Family Historian, i.e. press and hold the 'n' key; and see what options you get. Yes, you can also use the full Windows 'Character Map' app for a full range of options, but that application has been known by that title since at least the early 1990's, so it probably isn't going to change.

Mervyn

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 25 Jul 2019 08:39

Pam, welcome to the FHUG.

I presume you found our Knowledge Base > Enter Accented and Other Special Characters advice that refers to the ƒh V6.0 Configure Language & Accent Characters feature.
The probable reason for not using 'diacritics' is that the Unicode Character Map covers a great deal more.
A diacritic is a sign, such as an accent or cedilla, written above or below a Western arabic letter ( A-Z a-z ).
Whereas, the Unicode Character Map also includes Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, and many other Asian languages, plus innumerable symbols.

I have added details based on the above description to the [kb]|[/kb] advice, so the word diacritics should appear in the Search index soon.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry