* Anticipating union problems in FH 6.2

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TonyVella
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Anticipating union problems in FH 6.2

Post by TonyVella »

In Greek Theogony there are some strange unions. e.g.
Zeus + Hera (brother and sister) + multiple issue;
Hephaestos and Aphrodite (stepbrother and sister - same father) + issue;
and others I can't remember at the moment.
To this very day I have not been able to make FTM accept these unions and was wondering (before I go through all hell) if I will be facing the same issue with FH 6.2.
Has anyone ever faced this situation before and would like to pass on any opinions, advice, tricks, gossip, whatever?
I thank one and all in advance.
OlympicUnions_2.jpg
OlympicUnions_2.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

I believe that 3 weeks after I fall off my perch no one will even remember my name.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Anticipating union problems in FH 6.2

Post by Jane »

Just add them and select existing records, you will get a warning but it won't stop you doing it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When they are shown in Diagrams some Individuals may be shown with a box for each relationship in different family groups.

Such boxes will be linked by coloured ribbons to indicate they are the same person, but in different family relationships.
The Diagram > Options > General tab Check for duplicates and Options button allows those ribbons to be hidden or customised.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
TonyVella
Gold

Post by TonyVella »

Son of a gun, exactly the same doubling effect as in FTM. It does get on my nerves when I print out the occasional tree or branch and I thought I would be through with it with FH6. In each case, say Hephaestos and Aphrodite, the union is shown both under Hephaestos and under Aphrodite which makes my table look slightly untidy but it seems like there's no way of getting away from it. Oh well.
Thank you very much folks.
Tony V.
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

I believe that 3 weeks after I fall off my perch no one will even remember my name.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Post a Diagram screenshot illustrating the problem and we may be able to suggest some customisations to simplify it.

Not sure what table your mean by "the union is shown both under Hephaestos and under Aphrodite which makes my table look slightly untidy"?
Do you mean their issue rather than union?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you really wanted to you could use Family Historian to draw a completely "manual" tree as any text box added can be attached to a record.

Greek Myth family trees are messy as they really don't represent what happens in real life which is what most Family Tree programs are designed to handle.

As Mike says you will probably need to use the "hide" box options and tweak the charts to get a tidy output, perhaps adding a few manual lines and boxes and saving the diagram as a chart for future use.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
TonyVella
Gold

Post by TonyVella »

I agree with the latest comments that Greek Mythology is not exactly what the average family tree looks like; I have never had to face such situations in any of the Renaissance trees, for example. Except, perhaps, the de' Medici tree where everyone was calling their kids after their grandfather or uncle. If Uncle Giuliano made it to Cardinal and Pope, then everyone wanted to call their male first-born Giuliano.

This doubling (of the parents only, at least) is what I mean by untidy but perhaps there is no way around it; I'l have to make do. But then again, you are the experts, I'm just an ignoramus trying out a new program. Thanks again. Tony V.
2019-06-22_063935.jpg
2019-06-22_063935.jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 6902 times
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With some advanced customising it is possible to improve the Diagram as shown below.

Where Anthony MUNRO is Zeus and Ian Stephen & Charlotte are Hephaestos & Aphrodite.

The marriage = link between Ian Stephen & Charlotte is actually an inserted box, and their duplicated partners are hidden, and the coloured ribbon hidden.
CustomisedRelationships.png
CustomisedRelationships.png (18.24 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
TonyVella
Gold

Post by TonyVella »

Thanks Mike, I'l have a go at it.
Tony V.
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is another customised variant of the same Diagram showing there is often more than one solution.

The 'duplicated' couple on right are hidden by using right-click Hide and that also removes coloured ribbon.
Ian Stephen MUNRO is dragged down using the Movement Control Box in Box & Bar mode.
The couple are dragged apart using the Movement Control Box with Fixed Point option.
Use Diagram > Insert into Diagram to add a vertical line connecting Elizabeth HODGES to Charlotte CARRINGTON.
CustomRelationships.png
CustomRelationships.png (17.82 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Here is that same technique applied to the actual Greeks :D
It shows setting the Fixed Point to allow APHRODITE to be dragged right.
GreekMyth.png
GreekMyth.png (40.82 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
TonyVella
Gold

Post by TonyVella »

Perfect, Mike!
What do I read to learn to do that? I ask that because all programs seem to have proprietary terminology and if you don't know it searching can take a long time unnecessarily.
Thanks & Regards.
Tony.
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Much as I said in Items to include in boxes (16924), I suggest you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers, especially the Documentation & Tutorials including Getting the Most From Family Historian chapter 3. Introduction to Diagrams and 9. Setting the Style, Layout & Content of Diagrams and 10 Smart Trees and Wall Charts. That last chapter is particularly relevant to the Movement Control Box and Hiding boxes, but don't overlook the FH Help pages obtained by pressing the F1 function key when a Diagram is shown, and leads to the Diagram Menu explanations.

There are a great many features in FH. Probably more than FTM. So take some time to become familiar with them.