* Computer failed only have upgrade disk for v6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
david_firth
Family Historian: V6

Computer failed only have upgrade disk for v6

Post by david_firth »

Hi
My computer failed so had to purchase another.
I only have upgrade disk for v6 and have been told I must purchase the full v6.
I have the old hard disk drive connected externally to my new pc.
Can the product code be found for v5 on the disk or is there another work around?
Thanks for your help in anticipation
David
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Computer failed only have upgrade disk for v6

Post by LornaCraig »

When you refer to finding the V5 product code 'on the disk' are you referring to your old hard disk, or a CD? If you purchased V5 as a download the licence name and registration key would have been in the email you received at the time. Did you save those details from the email anywhere on the hard disk? If not, contact Calico Pie telling them the date of purchase and the email address you used at the time.

If you purchased V5 on a CD the Registration Key will be printed on a paper slip or label that came with the boxed set.
See the advice here: how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems

Once you have it sorted out, bake an archive backup of the details for future reference.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry that your PC has failed, David.

Your FHUG Profile says you are running FH Version 5 so that needs updating.
Click your username david_firth top right and choose User Control Panel. Then on its Profile tab, select Family Historian V6.2 and scroll down to Submit.

To install FH V6 you need the Upgrade V5 to V6 installation CD and the licence keys for both V6 and V5.
See how_to:family_historian_installation_details|> Family Historian Installation Details.

As Lorna says, consult how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems that has advice for both CD and downloads from Calico Pie.

Once you have got FH V6 installed, you will need advice to get what is needed from the old hard drive to reinstate not just your Projects but also you customisations and preferences.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
david_firth

Post by david_firth »

Hi Lorna and Mike
Thanks for your replies.
I have been in the process of moving house (which fell through) and had been ruthless with throwing things away and one of them was the original box with the v5 disk. Hence I don't have v5 disk or product code.
I upgraded from v5 to v6 with the upgrade disk in Oct 2018. I have that disc and the Reg key but nothing for v5.
The computer literally stopped working but the shop was able to remove the hard drive which I have as an external drive. Can the product code be found on the old hard disk?
Is there anything else I could do?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The V5 licence will not be on the old computer, unless you make a practice of keeping a record of all licence codes in a spreadsheet or similar.

Calico won't be able to provide your licence as they can only resend licences purchased direct from them, but it may be worth asking them if they can help in converting your licence from an upgrade one to a full one.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
david_firth

Post by david_firth »

Hi Jane
Thanks for your help.
I have emailed Calico Pie as you suggested.
Best wishes
David