* Can I join together Individual Summary Reports into one?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ctb
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Can I join together Individual Summary Reports into one?

Post by ctb »

Hello all
After years of entering data into Family Historian, I now want to get it out!
I like the Individual Summary Reports but would rather avoid having individual ones for each ancestor. But I don't see any way of creating a summary report which covers the selected individual and their ancestors, the way that I can by Ancestors By Generation Narrative.
Ancestors By Generation Narrative nicely combines all members into one report, but I prefer the more factual style that the Individual Summary Reports provides.
I'm wondering if I need to create a custom report to merge the two, or am I missing a standard report that gives me what I'm looking for?
Many thanks
Clint
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Can I join together Individual Summary Reports into one?

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Use the Ancestors query to select the individual and their ancestors when creating the report.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Thanks @ColeValleyGirl. I did that and it just created a long list of individual reports rather than joining them all together the way that Ancestors By Generation Narrative does....
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Ah, I've just found the View > Queries and I'm wondering if you mean I should create a report from there...
I wish there was someone I could pay to help me with all this. I did ask about that a couple of years ago, but didn't get any where. Surely there must be someone who would do all this for me if I pay them! It is far too complicated for me and I just don't have the time... sigh!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

View > Queries isn't relevant here.

If the Individual Summary Report using the Ancestors query isn't what you want, I'm at a loss to know what to suggest. Somebody else may have a bright idea.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

I have now found Publish > Publishing Tools Finder which is looking optimistic! (I had been looking further down that menu).
Not sure whether I've got there yet, but many thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Publishing Tools Finder won't help you as it is just another way of choosing from the Publish reports menu.
There is no easy way to produce an Individual Summary Report tabulated style in an Ancestor by Generation type report.

Have you tried the Publish > Outline Report > Ancestor Outline report?
See glossary:ancestor_outline|> Ancestor Outline for suggested Report Options to list facts line by line.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Many thanks Tatewise.
And I did have a look at Ancestor Outline but it's a bit too squashed up, I feel.
I think I'll stick with the "Ancestor by Generation Narrative" report. The thing I don't like about it is when it repeats information - eg "In 1976 she lived in Bath. In 1981 she lived in Bath" - I know that it is only taking the raw information and spewing it out, but it jars when reading it.
But I think on the whole it looks better and I like the way it groups people according to generation.
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What do you mean by a bit too squashed up?
If you could explain the problem a bit more clearly there might be a solution.

The default font size is smaller in Outline reports than in Narrative reports.
However, it is the same small font size as in Individual Summary Reports.
Nevertheless, font size and bold settings are easy to customise.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Narrative reports can be "cleaned" by customising the sentences, for example if you don't want to show where you have entered multiple facts for the same information, set the ones you don't want to an override sentence of {blank} and change a few around to improve the flow.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can even customise each Sentence Template to use a tabulated format.
See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates#tabulated_facts|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates > Tabulated Facts for details.
However, if you use a lot of Fact Types it involves quite a lot of customisation.