* Occupation entries after burial

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Occupation entries after burial

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello All,

This is probably very obvious......but I cannot make my mind up how to handle the entries for the above situation. I am tidying up my database and I have come across situations where I have an individual's chronological information from birth to burial, but then I have say a couple of occupation entries. These occupation entries are after the individuals burial and it looks like the entries are generally from marriage certs where the father's entry has not declared that he was deceased. Do I just redate it to the day before the death of the individual or something else?

It would be interesting to hear how some of the FH users handle this before I regret changing the info (or not changing) as the case may be.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PP :roll:
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Occupation entries after burial

Post by Gowermick »

Personally, I wouldn’t add the occupation for the father after his death ( he obviously wasn’t doing anything after he died :D ). What I do in these case is to add a note for his child, stating what their father’s occupations was stated to be at their marriage. This merely adds weight to the fact that you have correct father/child. e.g. if marriage states he was a butcher, when her father was actually a miner, it brings doubt that you have correct marriage. In saying that, people often told porkies when stating their father’ occupation, making him seem more important than he was!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If it's an occupation I hadn't recorded for that individual, I'd add an Occupation entry dated 'before YYYY' where YYYY he died (or estimate it more accurately if possible). If I already had the Occupation, I'd just add the marriage cert (or whatever) as a source for the occupation.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I would do much the same as Helen.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks for your suggestions.....in general, the occupation is the same as expected. I think I added most of the marriages via Ancestral Sources, so I already have a Source, but the actual marriage date is entered for the deceased father's occupation etc. Most of these discrepancies come from marriages just after 1837...…….I think :roll:

Appreciate all your help.

Cheers
PP
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I also enter the occupation with the marriage date. It then show up on the individual's record. Useful sometimes if I have a retired miner, a deceased miner etc. and have not yet determined the date of death. I have had children give different occupations for their dad! Serves as a reminder to recheck and then make a note about why I accept the difference.