* Birth Registration and Mother's Parents names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Birth Registration and Mother's Parents names

Post by gsward »

Some nonconformist registers of births include details the maternal grandparents in the register. This is of course really helpful and often this information was recorded well before civil registration in 1837.

I am using AS so you could argue I should post my question there...

So how to set up associated persons i.e. like witnesses who may not have been present at the actual event?

Graham
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Birth Registration and Mother's Parents names

Post by LornaCraig »

In cases like this I don't treat the grandparents as associated persons, I just enter them in FH as the mother's parents (if I don't already have them) and then cite the nonconformist record as evidence for their names.
Lorna
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

German certificates are much the same. I enter many records from overseas which need additional fields and I dont use AS at all except for UK censuses. It is quite simple and quick using fh on its own to add multiple fields and people for a census and then copy and paste the full entry and source.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

This is a related issue when working with this type of record. Often the location of the chapel where this event occurred is someway from the place of residence. That's fine at first sight as the place of Residence is captured for the event but a Birth is incorrectly recorded at the chapel.

So how do we capture:

Place of Birth
Redsdence
Place of Registration
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Strictly speaking there are two events: Birth and Registration.
In fact even standard UK records justify both those events.
  1. The Birth Event records the Date and Place of birth, which is typically the home residence.
  2. The Registration Event records the Date and Place of registration, which are both different from the Birth Event, and the place may be a Chapel or District Registration Office.
    This requires a custom fact to be defined.
However, it is quite common for the details of this 2nd event to be consumed into the Birth Source record that is cited by the Birth Event.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I'm with Mike on this and use 3 Custom Events: Birth Registration; Death Registration and Marriage Registration which are useful for the further targeting of places and time periods to search for evidence of the actual events indexed. There can, of course, be some downsides to this approach when transferring data to other software which may not accept user created GEDCOM Tags and/or in amending report sentence structure in the 'other' software, but it's not a perfect world!

Having the Registration event/places readily visible can also be useful for identifying possible migration patterns or 'unusual' events, e.g. I was born and the birth registered more than 200 miles away from my parents normal place of residence; and my mother and one of her sisters were both born and registered about 40 miles away from their parent's normal residence. Won't explain why, but suffice it to say my own 'foreign' birth meant I could never play Cricket for Yorkshire as the Club, until relatively recently, only recruited players who had been born in "God's own County"!

Mervyn
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

... Marriage Registration ...
Just as an incidental - marriage "registration" has been an integral part of the marriage ceremony in England & Wales from its introduction in 1837. Marriage registration in Scotland, however, is a separate event and I understand that the intended "show both parents on an England & Wales marriage certificate" change will bring in a separate marriage registration event in England & Wales.
Adrian