* Web search window blank Windows 10

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Pentris
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Web search window blank Windows 10

Post by Pentris »

I have just migrated to a new Windows 10 PC and all appears ok with one exception. Hints for Find My Past show ok but the web search window it opens is always blank. The hints work fine by opening an external browser window. I searched the forum and knowledge base but have not found anyone else with this specific issue. Has anyone a clue as to what this may be, do I need to change a setting somewhere.
Robin
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Web search window blank Windows 10

Post by Jane »

try using Mikes IE plugin to set the IE version to use.

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/plug ... try?id=723
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you checked how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches?

How did you migrate PC to PC?
Did you follow the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide?
If not done correctly the User Credentials may be the problem.

Do other options such as Internet > Search the Internet work or not?

If you run the Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin what is your current Internet Explorer Shell Version?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Jane and Mike
I followed all the rules for migration as per knowledgebase and forum articles including user credentials export and import. It was the IE version which defaults to 9 in Windows 10. Changed to IE 11 and all works fine. I would have thought that this issue was solved by now as Windows 10 comes with Edge.
Thanks as always for the excellent support from both of you.
Robin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Edge has nothing to do with it as only the IE browser engine is supported within other programs such as FH.
Remember that such programs must run on all versions of Windows so Edge is not an option.
When FH V6 is installed it should set IE Shell Version to 11 so don't know why it was 9.
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Mike, I use a disk with FH 6 and then use the online updates. It has always loaded with IE set at 9 for Windows 8.1 and now for Windows 10 on a brand new PC it would appear.

Articles from launch of Windows 10.

" What about Windows 10? Microsoft revealed a brand new web browser called Microsoft Edge with the launch of Windows 10.
Edge will eventually replace Internet Explorer all together, but we’re still a while away from that. In fact, Windows 10 has both Edge and Internet Explorer 11 installed, as Edge is so new that there could be the odd compatibility issue."
"Windows 10 will be mainstream supported until October 13, 2020, and the end of extended support is October 14, 2025, you’ve likely got until 2025 before they’ll stop supporting IE 11, even though they’d prefer you to use Edge."

So it looks like we will be ok for a few years but then FH will need to update to keep its compatibility.
Robin
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Edge is still a rapidly moving target for Microsoft (Windows 10) development as it hasn't gained any ground against the alternatives in the way Microsoft obviously hoped it would. Microsoft has already decided to scrap the further development of the 'new' Web Browser engine it built for Edge in favour of moving over to using the Open Source Chromium Engine for the future development of Edge which won't in itself alter Edge's design, but puts it firmly in bed with its previously favoured enemy: Google! Funny how, having made that decision, they now seem to be directing their negative energies into attacking Mozilla (Firefox).

Meanwhile, the Internet Explorer engine is static (apart from patching any essential security holes) and it's that Engine that software developers have to rely on if the include internal browsing in their applications (unless they which to embed some alternative Web Engine). That situation will remain unchanged until Microsoft provides an alternative API for software developers to enable them to make use of a different built in alternative to the present IE engine. Of course that in itself would create a major problem for all software developers and users, as the simple removal of the built in IE facility would result in all 'old' software that is dependent on the existing interface would no longer work as originally designed.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When Microsoft talk about IE they are usually referring to the browser interface presented to users.
They cannot easily remove the core IE Shell as that underpins Windows File Explorer and the Desktop.
As Mervyn says the only option for developers such as Calico Pie is the IE Shell API (Application Program Interface).

I suggest you report to Calico Pie that installing FH V6.2.7 does not set the IE Shell version to 11 and leaves it at 9 as confirmed by the Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin. However, it would appear to be localised to your PC (and maybe one or two others) as most users do not suffer the problem.
See Web Search Page is Blank (16497) which has the same problem.
See how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting for reporting methods.

If you are interested, try setting the IE Version back to 9 and then install FH but use right-click Run as administrator to see if that forces version 11.