* Showing adoptive parents

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Showing adoptive parents

Post by Ron Melby »

I know how I think it should work, but:

I have an INDI, has an adopted event, birth mother is known.
later adopted by husband in a marriage

hit the focus window, mother shows, no father
the adoption does not shows up in the focus window as family

I have 4 or 5 known adoptions adopted by both, birth parents unknown, no parents show.

seems to me that parents should show with some indication of adoption and by whom

What is going on?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Showing adoptive parents

Post by Jane »

Can you confirm you have also added the Child to the second family of the Woman as an Adopted child using the REL column to show the relationship.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ron, you say in the Focus Window the birth Mother shows with no Father, and the birth Child is shown below.
Have you added the adoptive Father as a Spouse of the birth Mother in a new Family relationship.
When you have done that the Mother will have two entries in the Focus Window,
one without the birth Father, and one with the adoptive Father.
You should add the Child to this second Family and set the Rel column with the Adoptive status for just the Father.

The Adoption Event does NOT do any of the above automatically for you.
It simply identifies the Date and Place of the formal adoption details.

See how_to:recording_children_with_foster_adoptive_parents|> Recording Children with Foster/Adoptive Parents for more details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

On subject of adoption vs. birth ancestral display.

Perhaps a simple answer for this. A child has adoptive parents (had been entered first), and birth parents (added later). The 'rel' column is only specified for 'a' for the relation to the adoptive parents, and left blank for the birth parents, per recommendations in the context 'help' note.

Question is this, if 'Ancestor' tab is selected for the child in focus, only the adoptive parents are shown, and the birth parents are not charted. Is this proper? I thought it would take the birth parents for the ancestor chart/tab, or does it take the first set of parents specified? If so, if I unlink and relink those parents, will that accomplish the desired result.

Thanks for any help,

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You don't need to link and unlink. Go to the All tab for the Adopted person and select the top "Family as Child" and move it down using the curved arrows.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Jane,

Thanks for the quick response. But it is only the first (in sequence) set of parents that appears in the 'ancestor' tab for the individual. The other will not be in the ancestor chart.

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Where an Individual has multiple Parents family (FAMC) links, then only the 1st instance of such parents as listed on the All tab will be shown in the Focus Window > Ancestors tab and within Diagrams.
That is regardless of whether they are birth or adoptive/foster parents, and any associated Dates.

The only exception is where the Individual is the root of a Diagram.
Then you are offered a choice of which parents to show.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry