* Problems with Res Privata

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
changeringer
Family Historian: V5

Problems with Res Privata

Post by changeringer »

I have used Res Privata successfully for a number of years but recently it seems not to recognise the Gedcom file produced by Family Historian (V. 5). I have re-installed Res Privata but have had the same problem. I am running a 64-bit MS Windows 8.1 system. Could one of Microsoft's updates maybe have created this problem?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Problems with Res Privata

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

If you had said you were using FH V6 then it probably would have been due to the default UTF-16 encoding as explained in fhugdownloads:contents:res_privata_-_gedcom_privatisation|> Utility ~ Res Privata - Gedcom Privatisation, but you are using the 4 year old FH V5 that should not have any problems.

Is the GEDCOM file part of a long established Project or is it something recently acquired?

I have just tried Res Privata on Windows 10 and it seems Ok on ANSI encoded GEDCOM files, but not UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoded files.

BTW:
You might find some of the techniques in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data just as effective if not more so.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Sorry to butt in but I just wanted to say 'Look to, changeringer!' Welcome to FHUG!
Anne
changeringer

Post by changeringer »

AnneEast wrote:Sorry to butt in but I just wanted to say 'Look to, changeringer!' Welcome to FHUG!
Anne
Many thanks, Anne, but the treble's long "gone". Apologies for esoteric references to those outside the community of tower bell-ringers.
changeringer

Post by changeringer »

Mike, many thanks for that pointer to the Knowledge Base. I'll check it out.
I have used Family Historian for many years (started with v3) without problems which is why I have never previously raised any issues in this Group. Res Privata has only been used at widely separated intervals and, until recently, caused no hiccups. I have been trying to identify whether any other changes to my system may have created significant differences since I last used Res Privata but can, so far, think of nothing. I have been using Family Tree Analyzer quite a lot over recent weeks but cannot imagine FTA actually changes the Gedcom file.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

From fhugdownloads:contents:res_privata_-_gedcom_privatisation|From Knowledge Base > Utility ~ Res Privata - Gedcom Privatisation:—
This programme will not process Family Historian V6 native gedcom files as they are utf-16. Use the Export Gedcom File plugin to make a utf-8 gedcom file, this will be correctly processed by this programme.
Surely some mistake?
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, the caveat about UTF-16 was added recently by Colin Valkrider, but I also have problems with UTF-8.
I was about to reword it to give clearer options.
What exactly is the "mistake" you have detected?
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I (still on Windows 7) also have a problem with UTF-8 so I cannot see how “this will be correctly processed by this programme” can be true.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have updated the wording and hope it makes sense.

On re-reading the whole Description, I am not sure about the third paragraph, because Res Privata does not edit the chosen GED File, but creates a new Output File, so there is no need for a backup or to work on a copy :?

BTW:
The Help does NOT work in Windows 10 nor any recent versions of Windows without the fix given in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#v2_v3_help_pages_refuse_to_display|> V2/V3 Help Pages Refuse to Display. I've just updated that with a quick fix for Windows 10 if anyone would like to try it out.

HOWEVER, none of that solves changeringer's problem, so some software forensics may be necessary.
Exactly which Help > About Res Privata version are you running?
If it is V2.4.1 then it is later than the V2.2.1 FHUG download (so we would like that copy).
The cause could be a Windows 8.1 update, although unlikely.
Have you tried the fhugdownloads:contents:res_privata_-_gedcom_privatisation#download|> Res Privata > Download ZIP file that needs no installation or Administrator privilege?
Have you tried using Res Privata on the Family Historian Sample Project or any other Project?
Have you an old Backup of the problematic Project GEDCOM that you could try?
If the latter work, then it is probably not a Windows 8.1 issue, but if all fail, then it probably is Windows 8.1.
If the forensics point to a recent change to just your main Project, then focus on what has changed.