* Columnised Place report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Columnised Place report

Post by gsward »

To use the Rearrange Address and Place Parts plugin it seems first I need to be able to select some of the places. Ideally, I would like to run a query to separate the place elements (i.e. the comma-separated parts) in a columnar report that can be sorted to group the misaligned places.

Does that query exist? Or how do I define the columns?

Graham
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Columnised Place report

Post by Jane »

If you are confident with Queries you can use the TextPart function to split the place name in to columns.

There are detailed examples in the Help for the Function.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I say you are posing a question without defining your objectives.
Depending on what you want to achieve, and the state of your Place names, there may be easier ways.
Tell us what you want to achieve, and the problems you perceive in your Place names.
i.e. You don't have the same number of comma separated parts in all Place names.
Have you looked at what is possible with Tools > Work with Data > Places?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Yes, I have varying numbers of parts. A country, for example, is position 2, 3 or 4.

The issue with "Work with Data" - "Places" is I cannot get that selection into the Plugin.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Jane, TextPart works a dream.

e.g.

Heading: Column 2
Expression: =TextPart(%_PLAC%,2,1,STD)

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If there are not too many then Tools > Work with Data > Places can edit the Place part columns.

In the Plugin on the Input Filter tab you can choose which Place names to work on.
I understand that may be a little awkward, but by using the Ctrl and Shft keys in the usual way as explained in the Help & Advice you can select any combination.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry