* Edit Saved Chart

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Senelstune

Edit Saved Chart

Post by Senelstune »

Is it possible to edit a Saved Chart ?

I created it via View/Standard Diagram Type/Blank Diagram ... then Diagram/Insert Into Diagram/Text Box .... then inserting text ... then back to Diagram/Insert Into Diagram/Picture. I saved the chart via Save Diagram As/Family Historian Chart.

I now want to go back and edit the text, resize the image and add another picture. How do I do that ?

Any help much appreciated.

john
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Edit Saved Chart

Post by Jane »

View>Saved Charts from the menu and select your chart.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thanks Jane,

Yes, I know, but this just brings up the saved chart ... but how do I edit it. I don't see how to do that.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Edit just the same as originally and then save it again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thanks Mike,

As before, yes - I can retrieve the Saved Chart ... and I can see the handles so I can resize it ... but I cannot see how to actually edit it ... if I just click on the chart I get a Format screen .... I can even insert a new text box ... but I want to edit what is inside the original text box - or even delete it. I cannot see how to do that.

Thanks for your patience ;)

john
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Right Click on the text box and select Format, you can update the text in the formatting options on the Text tab
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Jane,

Thanks ... I am sure we are talking at cross purposes - I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

I am looking at my Saved Chart. When I right click on it, I get a box that contains options : Copy, Paste, Order, Grouping and Format. There is no way I can right click on any of the pictures nor any of the text boxes.

If I select Format, this applies to the entire chart and I get a box of options that offers Image, Line and Fill, Shape.

Clearly I have not reached the right place to edit anything.

So, just trying to identify where I have not followed the right procedural steps.

Thanks,

john
Attachments
This is my Saved Chart - it has two text boxes and 19 small pictures.
This is my Saved Chart - it has two text boxes and 19 small pictures.
Snelson FH Edit Saved Chart.jpg (214.38 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I suspect you have probably grouped everything together, in order to edit individual components you will have to ungroup it first
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, if Jane is correct then when you right-click in the middle of that box the context menu will offer Grouping > Ungroup.
If it only offers Grouping > Group then it is NOT a grouped item.

I suspect it is NOT a Text Box at all, but an inserted Picture from some armorial image you have.
In that case the right-click menu Format dialogue will have Image, Line and Fill & Shape tabs only as you say.

If it were a Text Box the right-click menu Format dialogue would have Text, Line and Fill, Shape & Data tabs

If it were a Group the right-click menu Format dialogue would have Image, Line and Fill, Shape, Data & Text tabs.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Confession: Edit Saved Chart

Post by Senelstune »

Mike and Jane,

It is 2-00am in the morning here ... I am lying in the pit thinking about all of this and your very kind and learned responses. I suddenly got a cold shudder as I realised what might have happened. Of course, you are right on the money. I got out of bed and tried the investigative measures you described a few moments ago; it reveals exactly what you say - and my worst nightmare that was keeping me awake.

As soon as I saw a few secs ago, that "UnGroup" was not an option, this confirmed what was keeping me awake. I am ashamed to have to confess ... I have pulled this material from a website I run ... so I have assembled it elsewhere, that is grouped it all and then loaded it into FH complete - and quite forgotten that methodology. So the truth is that did not Group these two text boxes and the 19 or so individual pictures at all in FH. I think it has all been loaded into the Blank Diagram in one hit and then saved as a FH Saved Chart.

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh ... I have wasted your time. Damn. I am really very embarrassed.

My thanks to you both - I appreciate your tenacity and patience - and of course offer my sincere apologies. Although I had been wrestling with the problem since Christmas, I should have tried to work through it logically and be more responsible.

Very best wishes,

john