* Queries. Note fields?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Queries. Note fields?

Post by E Wilcock »

On the main tab of the property box there is a Note: field.

I use that to make quick notes about searches and would like to include it in a query.
Could someone tell me please what is the correct reference for this note field?

Using the data reference tool I found %INDI.NOTE[1]>%
But this doesnt work and I dont know which of the note options to select. The options under Note and source note seem confusing.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Queries. Note fields?

Post by Jane »

You want

Code: Select all

%INDI.NOTE2[1]%
as the Data Reference tool states %INDI.NOTE[1]% is a link to a Note record and not a local note.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane wrote: as the Data Reference tool states %INDI.NOTE[1]% is a link to a Note record and not a local note.
Thank you Jane. But don't over estimate us non IT users. I assumed it was a Note record as it isn't attached to any event.

And (with apologies) I haven't yet worked out how to do this.
First I put in as you suggested and once I have done that in the top line the programme wont let me add any parameters.
So then I clicked on the data reference assistant and discover that I still don't know how to navigate to this correct note. Notes offered seem to be either Note records or source notes?
Could you or Mike please tell me how to navigate to the reference I need?
I don't see any stating or guidance on the list.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

glossary:notes#note_records|> Note Records

Notes can be attached at many levels to individuals, facts, sources, media, citations etc. These can be local or Note Records.

Note Records are stored in Records and can be seen on the View>Record Lists>Notes

Local notes are stored with in the record they belong to.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

First a reminder about what constitutes a Record in FH/GEDCOM.
In the Records Window each tab across the top refers to a type of Record (Individual, Family, Note, Source, Media, etc).

In Data References links to a Record are indicated with >.
e.g. Link to Source record %INDI.SOUR>% and to Media record %INDI.OBJE>% and to Note record %INDI.NOTE>%

In Data References the Fields in records use a dot, and if there are similarly named Records have a 2 suffix.
So a local Note field is %INDI.NOTE2%

The Data Ref Assistant has options for both a Note Record> and a Note field:
LocalNoteField.png
LocalNoteField.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. I have had a good deal of trouble over this. And possibly not to do with the writing of queries.
I was completely unable to edit my previous failed row. After many attempts I stopped trying and deleted that row.

And added it as a new row. %INDI.NOTE2[1]% that has now worked.

I remain a bit hazy about notes in fh.

I wrongly believed that notes in the Note tab for a person were also in the Notes tab of the records list. But on this project of over 3,000 people I have no Notes at all in the Notes tab of the record lists.
So Notes are something I havent yet used at all.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are many positions in FH/GEDCOM where a Note can be added.
In each case they can be either:
  1. A local Note field within the current record.
  2. A separate linked Note record, just like a linked Source or Media record can be associated with many records.
    These are listed in the Records Window on the Notes, Sources, Media, etc, tabs.
For example, in the Individual Property Box on the Notes tab various Note items are listed and can be edited.
Illustrated below there are:
  1. Yellow icon - Note Record that links to 6 records in total. %INDI.NOTE>%
  2. Blue bullet - Local Note field within this Individual record. %INDI.NOTE2%
  3. Red bullet - Local Note field within Family record linked to this Individual record. %INDI.FAMS>NOTE2%
  4. Fact icon - Local Note field on any of the Facts held within this Individual record. %INDI.EDUC.NOTE2%
The Add Note button on this tab allows each of the first three types to be added.
NoteTypes.png
NoteTypes.png (26.14 KiB) Viewed 6307 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Just to add to Mike's explanation: Local Notes on any Facts may optionally be excluded from the list in the Notes tab of the Property Box, by clicking this icon in the toolbar of the Notes tab:
Attachments
Note tab tool bar.JPG
Note tab tool bar.JPG (12.02 KiB) Viewed 6287 times
Lorna
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Back in 2012 I wrote a little Plugin Notes List for Individual which I keep in my Tools menu. It shows all the Notes (Local and Record) linked directly or indirectly to an Individual. It also shows the relevant Data-Reference for each, albeit without the Index.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Just a heartfelt thank you - it is all done now.