* Lytebox

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Lytebox

Post by mezentia »

The page http://www.dolem.com/lytebox as referenced in FH’s Help/About does not exist any more. There is a new site, http://www.resoo.org/www/javascript/Lyt ... 0Home.html but even that has out of date links for configuration information, helpful if like me you're a bit of an HTML novice :( . The latest version of lytebox seems to be October 2007.

There is an alternative free product, highslide js, at http://www.highslide.com that I’m looking at for my own pages that offers much better handling of single images and galleries and has an active support forum.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to replace all the lytebox stuff on automatically generated pages?
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Lytebox

Post by Jane »

You could write a plugin to do the search and replaces required on the generated web pages, I suspect most could be done with a direct replace.

Mike's Web Site enhancement plugin should give you some ideas on how to do it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the update. I suspect even Calico Pie may be unaware of that.
So please report it to them via the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting ticket system.
The web site you mention only offers Lytebox v3.2, whereas FH uses v4.0, and v5.5 was available.

As Jane suggests you may be able to use search & replace on all the generated web pages.

She refers to my plugins:help:improve_html:improve_html|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin that already offers some alternatives in its plugins:help:improve_html:imagepopup|> Improve Website or CD DVD HTML ~ Media Popups Tab.

You could look at how that Plugin handles the conversion from one to another.

If I find the time I might look at incorporating http://www.highslide.com as another alternative.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

As HTML files are only simple text files you could use Notepad++ to do this.

Open all the files in Notepad++ and use the 'all open files' search and replace option to change all references to the old lytebox to the new one and then, of course, save all the files.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That should work, but I advise you write a macro script so that the conversion is easily repeatable.

As well as image anchor href lines, the <head> lines that include the css & js files also need changing.

Plus the actual css & js files need replacing.
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

I'm using MS Expression Web 4 as my main editor for HTML (it's free), but I've got Notepad++, although I haven't checked out all the features yet. It looks promising: there's only 4000+ families and 13500+ individuals to edit :) (although there's not images for everyone, obviously). The tip about creating a script is useful, as I'll clearly need to run it each time I refresh the site via FH.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you can post the details of what HTML script changes are required, then I can probably add Highslide as another option in the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin (eventually).
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

I've just been looking at this site: http://www.roadrash.no/highslide-js-sample-pages/. It contains many more samples of the use of highslide. Sadly, it also states:
There’s no longer active support for Highslide JS, but you can follow the steps in the support section to get answers to your questions.
There is still some support as I've just been using the support forum to get a question answered, so there is still some interest in the code.

I'm going to continue to use it for my own pages though as I quite like the way it handles images.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It's quite common for Open source routines especially small utilities like Lytebox or Highslide to lose support, in general it's not a problem as they are all "source code" based so anyone can pick them up and maintain them or customise them as needed or simply swap out the code to a new one.

When adding open source routines to web site generators and commercial sites, using these sort of routines is very common, lots of web sites use jQuery a superset which is also open source.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I just had another thought about this issue.

Providing it is just a change of js library and the syntax is no different just rename the new lightbox js file the same as the old one.

It is something worth trying to save all the editing work.
Ian_Murray
Family Historian: V6

Post by Ian_Murray »

I came across this ;http://www.nof-tutorials.com/Lytebox-Version-5.5/ , click on the tutorial link in the 3rd line for more including a zip download of v5.4.

Or see here for a download of v5.5 http://webscripts.softpedia.com/dyn-pos ... 0/e288/0/1 choose the mirror site.

No idea if this is what you are looking for, but the Lytebox.js and Lytebox.css provided have the same names so you can simply overwrite these two files to see the differences and look at what additions there might be. In addition I'm hoping the tutorial pages add to my, currently poor, customisation options.

Remember copies of the original v4 Lytebox files used by FH are available within the files installed by the Family Historian program. In my case .../Program%20Files%20(x86)/Family%20Historian/Web/Lytebox/ .

Update editing the top of the lytebox.js allows you to change the colour scheme (Make a copy first) - Calico Pie had done this for us in their v4 provided copy.

Cheers,
Ian