* Media attaching to random people

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Pentris
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Media attaching to random people

Post by Pentris »

I have noticed a problem of late whereby a few media attachments are being attached as wanted but in addition is also being attached to one or more other random people. This only comes to light when subsequent views of any person in the tree shows an incorrect media attachment which cannot be deleted as it is shared across more than one person. The only way to remove it is to delete the media and reattach to the correct person again. Has anyone else found this problem or know what may be going wrong. Recent example attached.
Attachments
incorrect media attachment.JPG
incorrect media attachment.JPG (228.6 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media attaching to random people

Post by tatewise »

Can you please give more exact details of how & where you are adding the Media.

You talk about them being attached to other random people, but your screenshot shows the Media is attached to a Source record cited by a Christening Event, and NOT attached any Individual record at all.

If the Media are being added to Source records, then they will appear via the Show Media button in the Facts tab of every person's fact that cites that Source record. In your screenshot the Source record is a Method 2 'lumpers' England & Wales Births & Christenings 1838-1973 so every other citation of that Source will see that Media.

It is easy to check that the Media is in a Source record by unticking the Include Source Record Media option bottom right, and it will vanish from display. Also such Source record Media cannot be deleted via the Show Media dialogue, which is what your screenshot illustrates.

I don't understand why you get a different effect when you add Media again, unless you are adding to a different position.
Note that Media can be added to the Media tab of Individual, Family, Source and Place records, and also to Facts and to Citations. So you need to be clear about where they are being added.

It seems that the Media is for a Baptism of Ann Smith and so must be attached to her Baptism/Christening Fact or Citation and not the Source record. Alternatively, you need to use a separate Method 1 'splitters' Source record for every single Baptism/Christening event.

If the distinction between Source records Method 1 and Method 2 is not clear then see how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers under Sources Methods 1 & 2.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Re: Media attaching to random people

Post by Pentris »

Mike
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I agree that to you it was attaching to a source record but it showed up against people that were not random as I thought but linked by a common source. By sorting the 'sources' in picture order I found 4 non person specific fact sources with media incorrectly linked which was giving me the issue. That was four errors in 903 media records. By my method of removing the media source record completely it was taking away the incorrect linking so when I added it back to the 'fact' the problem went away as the incorrect source link was not reconnected.
Many thanks.