* Photo showing sideways

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Rusty
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Photo showing sideways

Post by Rusty »

I'm sure that there must be a simple explanation to correct this, but I can't see how to do it. I have just added a photo to my album and then tried to add it to my FH file, the photo is the correct way up until I open it in the media tab then it is on it's side, I don't understand why it has suddenly 'flipped'.

Any help appreciated.

Margaret.
PeterR
Megastar

Re: Photo showing sideways

Post by PeterR »

There is a section on Photo Orientation in how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|– Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

Thank you Peter, but my photo is the correct orientation every where but in FH, none of my other photos have suddenly turned themselves sideways and there doesn't seem to be anything in FH to re-orientate it. I can re-orientate it in the photo album on my lap-top but then it is sideways there which I don't want.

Margaret.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Margaret, you need to follow the advice Peter suggested to remove the EXIF Orientation.

Your photo album is probably honouring the EXIF Orientation whereas FH ignores it.
By removing the EXIF Orientation and with the image correctly rotated everything will leave the image in its default orientation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

Thank you Tatewise, I still don't understand why it is just this one photo, all the others that have been taken by either my camera or iPad have all turned out correctly, but, thanks for your help.

Margaret.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The explanation is that all those others had the camera/iPad upright/portrait so the EXIF Orientation and default Orientation are the same, thus ignoring the EXIF makes no difference.

In the odd one the camera/iPad must have been rotated 90 degrees to landscape, which gets recorded in the EXIF Orientation, so software that uses EXIF rotates it correctly, but FH does not.

You could Vote for Wish List [url=ttp://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldisplay.php?wlwlref=536]Reg 536 Use Orientation meta-data in Media images[/url] to get FH to recognise EXIF.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty »

Thank you Tatewise I've voted. I also managed to re-orientate my picture within windows using 'Open with Windows Live Photo Gallery', so I'm happy now particularly as I didn't want to download yet another programme that I would probably never use again!

Thanks again.

Margaret.