* Burial and Interred (or similar) Icons on Diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Shiriki
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Burial and Interred (or similar) Icons on Diagrams

Post by Shiriki »

I am currently using the following two expressions to display an Icon for a Burial Fact on diagrams:

=IsTrue((%INDI.BURI.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Parish Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%))

and

=IsTrue((%INDI.BURI.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Cemetery Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%))

For the moment I am using the same icon for both Expressions, which to date has served me well.

However a number of individuals have entries within a Church (Parish) Register as well as an entry within the Cemetery Register.
To distinguish between these I have two Facts associated with the Burial (Burial Fact and an Interred Fact) so that sentences are produced when generated within Narrative Reports (see below)
Each of these facts has their own citation to a Source Record with their respective media image attached (Method 1).

My Burial fact sentence is as follows:

<br>{individual} was buried {date} with an entry within the Parish Register of {_place} {age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. ><The curator at the burial was {role=curator}.> <br>

The custom Interred fact has a sentence that is constructed as follows:

<para>{individual} was {label} {date} {place} with an entry within the Cemetery Register {age}.<para>{note}<para>

A typical Narrative Report would read thus:

He was buried on 30th September 1887 with an entry with the Parish Register of St. George’s Church, Church Street, Gravesend, Kent, England.
He was Interred on 30th September 1887 in Gravesend and Milton Cemetery, Old Road West, Gravesend, Kent, England with an entry within the Cemetery Register.

So this works quite well.
What I was wondering if whether or not it is possible to have either a totally new customised Fact, amend my existing or have a second customised Burial Fact (Burial[2]?) with a different icon attached so that I can display on a diagram Icon/s as follows:

A Burial Icon for those individuals where I have a Record and Image where an entry appears within the church register. (But no Cemetery record discovered to date).
An Interred Icon for those individuals where I have a Record and Image where an entry appears within a cemetery register. (But no Church register record discovered to date).
Display both the Burial and Interred Icons if I have both Church and Cemetery Records with their associated Images.

Just changing the Icon associated with my second sentence (Burial Record (Cemetery Register….etc) changes the icon successfully to my newly created Interred Icon, but as that is associated with my Burial fact for that particular person that is why it appears.

Hopefully the above explains sufficiently what I am trying to achieve…..I’m hoping that I have missed something which is blindingly obvious…….or perhaps I’m attempting to have my cake and eat it!

What do others do in similar circumstances?

Has anyone any bright ideas as to a possible neat solution or workaround?

Many thanks in advance

Shiriki
StevieSteve
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Re: Burial and Interred (or similar) Icons on Diagrams

Post by StevieSteve »

I think you just need to change the 2nd expression to refer to the Interred fact rather than BURI
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I take a fresh view?
It appears that there is no difference between a Burial and an Interment other than the Source document(s) cited. Surely there is only one Date and Place of the Burial/Interment Event? The Place names in your narrative example are the locations of the Source documents not the Place of Burial/Interment, and such document locations should be in the Source record.

So if there is only one Burial Event, it could have one or two relevent Source Citations.
You existing Expressions cater for one of either Type being the 1st Citation.
So you only need to add a similar pair for INDI.BURI.SOUR[2] for the 2nd Citation.
They could be separate, or combined with the first two using =IsTrue( ( ... and ... ) or ( ... and ... ) )

The narrative Sentence Template could similarly have conditional phrases saying with an entry within the Parish Register &/or with an entry within the Cemetary Register, etc.
However, I have an issue with your sentences. They assume that a Burial/Interment Event will only ever exist supported by a Source Citation for a Parish or Cemetary record, and never anything else?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Hi All

I’m re looking at my attempts to display different burial icons on diagrams dependent upon what sources/citations/media images I currently have.

I agree with Tatewise that what has been entered to date relating to my Burial and Interred Facts was a somewhat ham fisted way as a workaround in an attempt to display the icons but in doing so has made a pig’s breakfast regarding having in effect two Burial facts where the PLACs refer to source locations and not the true location of the individual’s burial as such where a church and cemetery entry occurs.

After pondering upon this issue, have decided that a more elegant (and correct) solution is to remove my Interred Fact and place the associated citation within that particular Fact with any citations in the Burial fact.

As a trial I have done this for a few individuals and amended my two burial diagram conditions (to date) as follows, which seems to have been successful in displaying the icons required.

I should point out that in a few cases I have additional burial citations appertaining to records with any associated media images for graveplots/headstones…so either additional/amended citations may have to be used or particular attention paid to citation ordering.
In the future I anticipate entering citations to some of the burial Facts for individuals relating to perhaps:

Right of Burial documentation.
An obituary where the burial is mentioned.
Witness documents etc.

To date the expressions compiled for displaying an icon on a diagram as follows:

=IsTrue(((%INDI.BURI.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Parish Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%)) or ((%INDI.BURI.SOUR[2]>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Parish Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%)))
(Burial Icon- Register in Parish Church)

=IsTrue(((%INDI.BURI.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Cemetery Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%)) or ((%INDI.BURI.SOUR[2]>_TYPE% = "Burial Record (Cemetery Register)") and Exists(%INDI.BURI.SOUR>OBJE>%)))
(Burial Icon - Register in Cemetery)

Hopefully I won’t fall foul of any ‘Gotchas’

Now this brings me on to the next issue:
How to compile a suitable sentence for the Burial Fact to appear within Narrative Reports and so forth….

I’m thinking that the Fact sentence template should generate a sentence something along the lines of the following (just considering the Parish Church and Cemetery Registers):

If only a citation to a burial within a church register exists:
He/she was buried in St George’s Church with an entry within the Church Register.

If only a citation to a burial within a cemetery register exists:
He/she was buried in Gravesend and Milton Cemetery with an entry within the Cemetery Register.

If both citations exist for a burial entry in both the church and cemetery register exist:
He/she was buried in Gravesend and Milton Cemetery with an entry within the Cemetery Register and also an entry within the Register of St George’s Church.

With the last sentence there are in effect two locations mentioned…..the first obtained from the PLAC (say Gravesend and Milton Cemetery) which then presents a potential problem with how to store and display the second (St George’s Church). Two things occur to me.
1. If I have all my locations in the PLAC field, I guess I could use the ADDR field to store in this case St. George’s Church and insert this in the relevant location with the sentence…..i.e. and also an entry within the Register of {ADDR}
2. Perhaps store the wording St. George’s Church in a relevant note field which I believe could be included within the sentence. (note…part?)
The only thing is to remember to add the Church information in the correct location for the sentence template to find if both the burial citations exist.
If this is too complex (or fraught with danger) then I might have to accept dropping the name of the church and just have the sentence read …….and also an entry within the Church Register.

Ahem…….

Not too sure how to proceed in attempting to construct the Fact sentence template with the relevant conditional phrases….(I’ve had enough trouble compiling the more simplistic expressions so far…..too many times I’ve seen the ‘Expression not Valid’ dialogue box that it keeps me awake at night wondering where within an expression the error lies).

Any assistance gratefully received to help me go in the best direction.

Regards to all

Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think your Expressions for Icons are good.

For the Sentence Template take a look at how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates especially Custom Fact Fields near the end.

One way forward is to have both a Cemetery: and a Church: Meta-field that can be worded to suit.
Then any extra place names and connecting words such as and also can be included in the Meta-fields as required until the Sentence is just right.

I know that means a partial double entry, once for the Citations(s) and again for the Meta-field(s), but you can more easily make the sentence wording just right.

Otherwise, it means some clever conditional phrases governed by the Citation(s), which as you say, poses problems with extra address/place names.
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Hi Tatewise

Many thanks for your guidance.
I will have a look at the knowledge base information in the link you provided, try to digest the relevant information and apply it to a customised sentence template. However....I anticipate that it may take some time and frustration on my part before it comes to fruition. I will report back once (if?) I have success.....

Again, many thanks.

Shiriki
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Moving on from my previous deliberations (see above), I have used what I believe are called meta-fields within the Note of a Burial Fact to generate my required sentences.

My current Burial Fact Template:

<br>{individual} was buried {date} with an entry within the Register of {_place} <with another entry within the Parish Register of {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Church: ")}>{age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. ><The curator at the burial was {role=curator}.> <br>

This produces the following (typical) desired sentences:

If only a Church Burial Source with relevant citation is present, sentence reads:

He was buried on 30 September 1887 with an entry within the Register of St. George’s Church, Church Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0DJ, England aged 71.

If only a Cemetery Burial Source with relevant citation is present, sentence reads:

He was buried on 30 September 1887 with an entry within the Register of Gravesend and Milton Cemetery, Old Road West, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0LS, England aged 71.

If both a Church and Cemetery Burial Source with relevant citations (Cemetery being citation 2 in my case) are present, sentence reads:

He was buried on 18 September 1867 with an entry within the Register of Gravesend and Milton Cemetery, Old Road West, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0LS, England with another entry within the Parish Register of St. George’s Church.

All of this works nicely with the place of burial being inserted as required given by {_place} and only requiring the Church: reference within the relevant Burial Fact Note when a burial at a more remote cemetery is discovered to generate the required longer sentence.

However if a Narrative Report is generated, the line Church: St. George’s Church appears below the generated burial sentence. Whilst this can be toggled to appear/disappear from the report by ‘un-ticking’ the Inc. Event/Attr Notes box on the Main tab of the Report Options this has the undesired result of suppressing all such Notes throughout a Report for other events/attributes, which one may want to be published……

Had a look back at the Knowledge Base article entitled Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates which indicated using the Source Note. The explanation given is This is a local Note that appears in the Sources For pane, but is nothing to do with Source Records.

This solution appears ideal, but try as I might I couldn’t initially seem to get the sentence template to work in the same manner when I had the reference to the Fact Note…..I must be missing something.

I could see my two Source Records listed within the (Pale Yellow) Source Citation pane and can click on each one to view their associated Note: field in each case, which appears at the foot of the pane below Text from Source:

I amended the Fact Type Burial template and placed Church: St. George's Church in either one or both the Note fields within the Source Citation pane but to no avail in generating the extended sentence (having previously removed the same phrase from the Fact Note pane to avoid confusion). There must be something blindingly obvious which I’m doing incorrectly.

According to the guidance given, the sentence should be generated from the following Burial Fact Type:

<br>{individual} was buried {date} with an entry within the Register of {_place} <with another entry within the Parish Register of {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.SOUR2%,"Church: ")}>{age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. ><The curator at the burial was {role=curator}.> <br>

Looking at the above it dawned on me that the reference to the labelled text didn’t include a reference to the respective Fact Source Note: field….so after amending the Sentence Template as follows to include such a reference:

<br>{individual} was buried {date} with an entry within the Register of {_place} <with another entry within the Parish Register of {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.SOUR.NOTE2%,"Church: ")}>{age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. ><The curator at the burial was {role=curator}.> <br>

Success…..Happy Days…(.the meta-field only having to be placed within first Source Citation Note field, in my example Church: St George’s Church).

Mike Tate (Tatewise).

If you agree with my findings, then perhaps the %FACT.SOUR2% reference in the last paragraph of Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates needs to be edited to read %FACT.SOUR.NOTE2%.

I will most likely be tinkering with my (Burial and other) sentences further and any feedback to modify such sentences to improve readability will be most welcome.

Now a much happier bunny

Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The confusion revolves around the mysterious Source Note which is NOT the Note field in the Source Citation.
It would not be convenient to have to have a dummy Source Citation just to use the feature described.
Perhaps the KB article should say, but the way to add a Source Note is via the All tab, right-click the fact (Burial in this case) and choose Add Source > Add Source Note to this Record. Add the text to the Source Note and it will appear in the yellow Sources For: pane. To edit the text you need to use the All tab again and expand the fact to reveal the Source Note box.
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Many thanks Tatewise...I've located the mysterious Source Note and entered the text to trigger the expanded narrative Report sentence, after following your instructions.

Also amended the sentence structure back to that indicated within the Knowledge base (i.e removed the .NOTE which I inserted and removed the trigger text in the source citation fields).

Yes, all is working as expected, with the Source Note appearing below my existing two Source Citations (in Grey text)....

However I seem to have had finger trouble with one of the burial facts in so much that when I expand by clicking on the + in the All Tab I have gained two Source Note Fields......the upper one contains my Trigger text and the second one is empty. I presume that one can remove this spurious entry, but I can't see how I can delete it to tidy things up.

Perhaps the Knowledge Base needs an explanatory paragraph along the lines of your last post to cut through the confusion of how to enable the Source Note and edit same, if only to give further guidance to members who are attempting to get to grips with some of the hidden nuances within Family Historian such as myself.

The more I delve into FH the more I am impressed into what it is capable of doing.

Again, thank you for your expertise in these matters, without which such things would remain a total mystery and be viewed as a black art..... :D

Cheers

Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As with any field on the All tab (and elsewhere), select it and hit the Delete key.
If it is truly empty, FH would auto-delete it when next Closed and re-Opened anyway.

I will update the KB with that extra help for the mysterious Source Note.
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Many thanks for the advice.

Had a look at the Family Group Sheet Report and noticed for individuals which have a parish church and cemetery burial as sources against their burial Fact the appearance of a third souce.
The third Source is listed after the two true burial sources and is associated with the 'mysterious' source note entry.
Am wondering if it is possible to suppress the appearance of this particular source (All my sources are listed at the end of the FGS report on a separate sheet ) whilst leaving all others unaffected?

Can't see an obvious way to do this, and may have to put up with it appearing within the Sources list at the end of the report after the 'true' burial sources.
Have yet to check to see if any other reports publish in a similar manner....will have a further check in slower time....

Regards to all

Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, these Meta-fields are proving a bit tricky, but I think I now have the best solution.

Move the Meta-field back into the Burial local Note, but enclose it in privacy [[ brackets ]] and place after any genuine local Notes.
e.g.
Genuine local notes.
[[
Church: Register of St. George’s Church, Church Street, Gravesend, Kent
]]

Such private Note text is excluded from Reports by default, and by placing after other Note text there is no danger of spurious blank newlines

BTW: I tried doing a similar trick in the Source Note, and although it suppressed the text, the cross-ref number still existed.
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Thanks Tatewise........I think that has done the trick. :D

Removed the 'Mysterious' Source Note and re-directed the Burial FACT Type to look at the local note and Narrative Reports function as required and the spurious Source in the Sources listing in the FGS has gone.....
Phew!
It's a bit of a subtlety in placing the Privacy Brackets [[]] on separate lines from the text in the note, something I don't think would have occurred to me, I still consider myself a newbie with expressions and their syntax..... :!:

Onward and Upwards....now for the next challenge.....perhaps critically looking at my generated sentences from FACTS to see if they can be improved.

Just a thought on Diagram Icon and also Sentences......

Whilst I realise it's possible to have seemingly innumerable customisation, is it worth having a section within the Knowledge Base with a listing of some members 'Best of Breed' type of solutions where (say) the Sentence generated from a particular FACT has improved readability immeasurably with nice touches that can demonstrate what FH is capable of doing? I believe that it would be of immense help to others to look at the construction of the Expression and the sentence generated to inspire them to do likewise.

Possibly the only drawback is that it is likely to generate more questions than provide solutions........

Cheers

Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The thing about the Knowledge Base is that it is a Wiki, and thus open to all FHUG members to add their knowledge.

You may be aware of the related series of articles that are full of worked examples:
how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions
how_to:understanding_expressions|> Understanding Expressions
how_to:understanding_data_references|> Understanding Data References
how_to:understanding_functions|> Understanding Functions

Why not add your working examples to how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates in a new Examples sub-section. The Custom Fact Fields section already has one example to illustrate the Meta-field technique.

BTW: The opening [[ could be on the same line just before the Church: label and the Meta-field detection would still work because the label can be anywhere in the paragraph. The closing ]] must be on a new line to prevent it being included in the Meta-field value which extends to the end of the paragraph.