* Upgrading v6 under Crossover - MMO problem

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
cbuckthorp
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Upgrading v6 under Crossover - MMO problem

Post by cbuckthorp »

As reported recently on the mailing list I have been running FH v6.0.0 under Crossover v14.0.3 together with AS v4.5 via the plugin since January 2015. The installation on an iMac under Lion and a Macbook under Yosemite is as per the Knowledge Base procedures and has been satisfactory for me, recognising certain limitations that have been documented elsewhere on the forum. I recently upgraded FH to v6.0.4, installing into the existing FH Win 7 bottle. The installation appeared to go fine on both machines and FH loads OK with for the most part normal functionality - charts, reports, queries etc all display fine and AS 4.5 loads from the plugin. However View Multimedia is no longer working. The pane attempts to load but does not complete before freezing with a partial panel showing. On going back to the Focus page or List page the MM panel (what there is of it ) vanishes but FH continues to function.

Does anybody have any idea/suggestions what could be causing this? In particular whether there is a change in v6.0.4 that has created an incompatibility or missing or is this an example of a quirkiness in Crossover when processing version upgrades?

For the time being I have rolled back to v6.0.0 and my MMO's are again viewable.

I am aware that others have abandoned the emulator approach because it takes too much time to resolve some of these sorts of incompatibilities that crop up with version changes etc. but I would be very sorry to have to revert to a VM although if that's what it takes then so be it.

Grateful any suggestions regarding my 6.0.4 problem.
Regards
Colin Buckthorp
Colin Buckthorp
Researching Buckthorp(e), Buckthought, Tregaskis, Squires, Cosier
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Upgrading v6 under Crossover - MMO problem

Post by Valkrider »

Colin

This is another of the reasons I gave up on Crossover. V6.04 and media is one of the issues I wasn't prepared to continue any more with. I am away at the moment and have just checked on my Macbook Air which still has Crossover on it and accessing a media object ends up locking up FH.

I am going to have to put a VM on this when I get back home.
cbuckthorp
Gold

Post by cbuckthorp »

Thanks the feedback. I'll probably continue with my working Crossover installation for a while until the need to upgrade overrides the convenience of not having to install Windows again. I've become a Mac devotee over the past 8 years. It was Vista that drove me there then. I get the sense that while Windows 7 was a great improvement, lots of folks got frustrated again with the release of Windows 8 and I also get the impression there are quite a few issues with Windows 10. Maybe the latter will get sorted in time. If I revert to a VM do you think the old Win 7 is the best bet? I understand free upgrades to Win 10 are available during the first year of Win 10's release - assuming of course I can still get an authentic legitimate MS version of Win 7 still?

thanks again
Colin
Colin Buckthorp
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Valkrider »

Colin

I use Win 7 for my VM on my iMac. I am lucky in that I used to have a MSDN account and this gave me Win 7 licence keys as part of the subscription. So I had a spare for the iMac and have one left for the Air. The only problem may come with FH v7/8/9 which may require Win 10/11/12 rather than 7, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully by that time Calico may have a native Mac version, we can but hope.
cbuckthorp
Gold

Post by cbuckthorp »

Many thanks Colin. Much appreciated.
best
Colin B
Colin Buckthorp