* FH5 running under Crossover on Mavericks - no text on report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
plantheaven
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH5 running under Crossover on Mavericks - no text on report

Post by plantheaven »

Hi,
Me AGAIN! Just had to reload FH due to stupid operator (ME) and I cannot get any text when I try to generate a report. I had originally wanted to print off one of my named lists to take to the archive with me but I get the black header lines at the top of the page with no text whatsoever. I have tried to generate other reports but I get the same thing. Interestingly I have the correct number of pages for each report, just no text. OK, when everyone has stopped laughing at my ineptitude I would appreciate being told (politely or not) what I have failed to do this time.
:oops:
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH5 running under Crossover on Mavericks - no text on re

Post by tatewise »

Hi Jacqui,
That is a well documented 'feature' of FH 5 under Crossover.

See how_to:install_family_historian_with_crossover_wine#reported_problems|> How to Install Family Historian with Crossover and Wine > Reported Problems.

However, File > Print Preview displays Report pages correctly on screen, and the Print options work OK to printer.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Thanks Mike, I did actually skim that thread but missed the paragraph on the reports. :oops: This is a serious blow for me and unsure how to proceed with publishing reports and sharing information. I was also looking forward to publishing several in book format so am off to drown my sorrows.
Thanks again.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jacqui, please stop skim reading, and just digest what you are reading.
I gave you a perfectly workable solution, so no need to drown your sorrows.

There is NO unsurmountable problem with viewing and printing Reports.

Just use File > Print Preview to view Reports on screen.

The Print commands work OK so no problem publishing Reports or Books for sharing.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi Mike,

Not too far into my cups but FILE>PRINT PREVIEW is not highlighted so unable to use. I did say that I missed it first time but did go back and re-read after you referred me back. In fact, I felt so stupid when the PRINT PREVIEW was not highlighted I went back and read it several times more before replying. I did warn you that there is a stupid person in charge of this machine - anything can (and generally does) happen! :lol:
Hopefully I am not sending you towards the alcohol just yet!
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So, just to confirm, you use Publish > Miscellaneous Reports > List Report and choose a Named List to display the Report (but without text), and while the Report is still displayed the File > Print Preview command is greyed out?

Also does the Print command work to your printer?
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Just went through it again to make sure, and yes the PRINT PREVIEW is greyed out. I have sent another document to the printer and it is awake and printing. Told you, I have the 'magic touch' I can send any computer/software into melt down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Does the same Print Preview problem afflict any other Reports you try to produce, or is it just the List Report?

Has the FH5 you reloaded been updated to FH V5.0.9?

Can any users of FH5 on Crossover offer any suggestions, or confirm similar behaviour.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by gerrynuk »

I can't reproduce that situation - File>Print Preview is available and displays the report as expected.

I am using Crossover v13.1.13 under Mavericks with FH 5.0.9. It might be the specific programs in plantheaven's bottle but I am no expert in setting these things up - only that everything in my setup seems to work OK for me most of the time.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

No problems for me either.

I would suggest a new 'bottle' following the instructions exactly in the Knowledgebase.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Ok, firstly thank you for all your suggestions. I have reloaded EVERYTHING and still have problems. I will now try Valkrider's idea of a new 'bottle'. Will let you know what happens!
Jacqui
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

OK, no idea what I did (hubby shakes his head yet AGAIN) but I had to completely reload everything having sent the poor laptop into a frenzy! :roll: I now have a working model and the PRINT PREVIEW is now working. Thanks again. :)
Jacqui
Bundle
Platinum

Re: FH5 running under Crossover on Mavericks - no text on report

Post by Bundle »

Testing FH6 under Mojave, I too have no text on displayed reports (only images) until I choose Print Preview. So glad Mike pointed out that the reports do actually print! I hope this eventually gets sorted.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Bundle wrote:Testing FH6 under Mojave, I too have no text on displayed reports (only images) until I choose Print Preview. So glad Mike pointed out that the reports do actually print! I hope this eventually gets sorted.
I run it too under Mojave and do have the text showing in reports without print preview. As a result I suspect this may be a settings issue rather than an underlying problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bundle, have you followed the advice at how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine and set Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode that fixes that well documented problem?
Running FH 6.2 on Linux, Help needed. (15995)
Using FH using Crossover on MacBook - report problems (14357)
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Re my problem with text not appearing, thank you Mike, I had missed that and this advice fixed it. Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode.