* Partner (not spouse) designation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Kelly
Family Historian: V6

Partner (not spouse) designation

Post by Kelly » 21 Oct 2019 05:00

Hello,
I'm new to FH and to posting - so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I see when I add a spouse or partner that the prompt actually says "Add Spouse/Partner" but the field label in the property box says "Spouse". That part poses no problem - I get that it's shortened and on-screen is just for me. But it appears as "Spouse" on reports. The status selection only seems to offer "unmarried couple" as the most appropriate designation. And when I publish an Individual Summary Report, it shows:
Spouse: (name)
Children: (names)

Is there any way to change the report designation "Spouse" to "Partner" or even "Spouse/Partner" (to accommodate both)?
Is there any way to add a status selection called "Partner" that can be used instead of "Unmarried Couple"?

For those who are a bit sensitive about being "unmarried", "partner" is so much better - it indicates a choice rather than an inadequacy or a negative.

The Outline Descendant Report also shows "Sp" regardless of the status.

Would appreciate any help you can offer. Cheers, Kelly

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Partner (not spouse) designation

Post by tatewise » 21 Oct 2019 09:28

Welcome to the FHUG Kelly.

Your observations are not new, but there is no easy way to change the Spouse labels in most Reports.

The Narrative Reports do get adjusted according to the Status value, and will say for example "had a relationship with" instead of "was married to" where appropriate.

In Descendant Outline Reports there is a Report > Options global setting to remove the Sp. prefix for spouses.

Otherwise, the only workaround is to use the Save Report As options for PDF File or Word-Processor Document (RTF) and manually edit the resulting document.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Kelly
Family Historian: V6

Re: Partner (not spouse) designation

Post by Kelly » 21 Oct 2019 19:59

Thank you, Mike.

I'm a bit disappointed. FH is such a powerful and flexible program, with so much that I will probably never understand - I'd have thought that being able to make a customized status item would be an option. I figured I just didn't know how to do it. I'll use your work-around for my reports and continue to explore and enjoy FH.

Cheers, Kelly