* Splitting FH file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Sean53
Family Historian: V6

Splitting FH file

Post by Sean53 »

Hi all. I hope somebody can advise me on how to split my FH file as it is now rather big and slow to back up (approaching 2Gb in size with all the related media within).
I was thinking of splitting it into 4 separate trees, namely my father's family, my mother's family, my wife's father's family and her mother's family. I presume the easiest way would be to create a duplicate file from the original, then remove all individuals that do not pertain to that tree. However, that presumably leaves all the 1000+ sources and 1000+ media elements. It would be a real pain to have to examine each of them to decide whether they pertain to that particular tree. Can anybody advise me of a quick and efficient way to undertake this exercise?
Thanks in advance
Sean
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Splitting FH file

Post by Mark1834 »

Welcome to FHUG, Sean. My advice is very simple - don’t do it. 2 GB including media is by no means exceptional, and well within what FH can handle.

I think we need some more details to give best advice. Do you mean the FH backup options, or something else? What do you backup to? A simple USB2 memory stick will be slow, but a USB3 external hard disk or wired network connection is much faster.

Personally, I never use FH’s built-in backup. My files are all in OneDrive, so backup to the cloud automatically. I also create a local copy on a wired network drive using the excellent FreeFileSync utility, which automatically updates my backup whenever I switch off the PC. With that setup, backup is never an inconvenience- it just happens, and my media collection is considerably bigger than your 2GB. Remember, a backup should be copying just modified files, not everything.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome Sean, I endorse everything that Mark suggests.

BTW: Do you backup all your customisations of Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Records Window columns, Property Box tabs, etc, etc?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sean53

Post by Sean53 »

Thanks to all who provided suggestions. My FH Project File currently sits in PC/Documents/Family Historian Projects/Seans Family, but to date I have put the back ups into a folder on One Drive. I generally request a full back up of everything, since there will generally be extra sources/media added during each session.
I think Mark is suggesting that it might be good to move the current project file on to One Drive, so will take a copy and move it there. Presumably I then hold back ups to somewhere else, eg a USB stick?
Regards
Sean
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You will need to move the Family Historian Projects folder to OneDrive.
Then change the File > Project Window > Location to refer to the new location of that folder.

Ensure you use the OneDrive option to keep a local copy on your PC as well as in the OneDriver servers.

Then there will be a master copy on your PC drive and an automatic backup copy in the OneDrive servers.
So you may decide you don't need another local backup copy so often.
Alternatively, you could use the built-in Windows File History backups tool or other similar 3rd party tools that perform incremental backups so only new files get saved which reduces backup times.

If anything is not clear then please ask again.

See FHUG KB Synchronising Family Historian between 2 PCs but ignore the final steps involving the second PC (unless you have a second PC you can use which gives even more backup copies).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sean53

Post by Sean53 »

Thanks Mike
I will give this a go and let you know how I get on.
Regards
Sean
Sean53

Post by Sean53 »

Hi Mike
Just to let you know that your recommended approach has worked well for me
Many thanks again
Sean