* Upgrade to 2.1 not before end of January 2003

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
admin
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Upgrade to 2.1 not before end of January 2003

Post by admin »

I said in an earlier email that we were actively considering ways of getting 2.1 to you as soon as possible.  Here is a little more information that hopefully will give you all a better feeling for what's going on. Up to now I have avoided giving any dates at all, but I appreciate that this is frustrating; so here at least are the dates that we are working to, even if they are not ones that we can guarantee.Originally we had aimed for a November release of 2.1.  However, for various reasons (none of which surprised us very much), we have not achieved that. I think that we are now on target for a release of 2.1 in late Jan/early Feb.  It is however unlikely that such a release of 2.1 would include everything that we want to do now, not because there won't be a lot in it, but because there is a great deal that we want to do as part of the 2.x version - i.e. not to be left till 3.0.  The current thinking is that we will do the best we can to get a release out in late Jan/early Feb; and if we cannot include everything that we want to, we will later have a second release, 2.2 - which would also be a free upgrade for 2.0 users (incidentally if you're thinking of waiting for 2.1 before buying the product, in order to get a CD with 2.1 on it, I would advise against that as we may never produce a CD version of 2.1).Beyond 2.1 (and possibly 2.2) there are a great many things we want to do. We would like to have a patch mechanism so that bug fixes can be made available where necessary.  And where 'minor' upgrades are needed in the future (e.g. 2.1, 2.2, as opposed to major upgrades like 3.0 or 4.0), we would like to have in place a system which makes it easier for us to get more regular updates out to our users where possible.    We would like to do a demo version, and have a web-based tour of Family Historian.  We have had a series of very good reviews and we want to get quotes from them up on the web-site.  There is a lot to do.  Please bear with us.Simon Orde List Administrator and Family Historian designer