* Problem creating fact

Older V4 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
ruhane
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Problem creating fact

Post by ruhane »

Im trying to create a new fact called Removal Order. I have put in the following code for the template :
{individual} Removal Order {date} {_age} {note}
i was expecting to see a date box, age box, to place box, from place box, note box
What appears is date box, age box, place box and note box. What have i done wrong? How do i get the other boxes to appear?
Thanks

ID:5928
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Problem creating fact

Post by tatewise »

If I read that correctly, the components you are having problems with are {_place2} and {_age}.

The template code {_place2} only applies to the two special Immigration and Emigration Events.
See the Help on Templates Codes reached via the Fact Definition window Help button and the Template Codes link.

The template code {_age} is not supported by FH V4.

The best you can achieve is to create an Attribute instead of an Event for Removal Order then you can use the {value} code instead of {_place2} to refer to the Attribute Value field.

Also the {individual} code will not read well as it will be come He or She and the sentence will start He Removal Order ....
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ruhane
Diamond

Problem creating fact

Post by ruhane »

Sorry, what i want is a fact that allows me to show the date, the persons age, the place they were removed from (with an address?), the place they were sent back to (with an address?), and the ability to put a note. I have tried V4 and the latest beta versions and all i get is a standard fact window with date, age, place, note. It seems to ignore anything i put in the templates slot when i create it. Can i do what i want? Or is there a problem with this? Thanks
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Problem creating fact

Post by NickWalker »

As Mike said, the only facts that can have 2 place/address fields are the Immigration and Emigration facts so you can't create a custom fact with 2 places/addresses.

Again as Mike said if you use create a custom Attribute rather than a custom Event then you get an extra 'value' field that can be used to record text - so you could type your second place or address into there.

It is not ideal but really the recommended way to do this kind of thing is to have two separate custom facts: Removal From and Removal To.

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ruhane
Diamond

Problem creating fact

Post by ruhane »

Thank you, i will use 2 facts, it will be easier.[smile]