* Having to open program from back up file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
cajames
Silver
Family Historian: V4

Having to open program from back up file

Post by cajames »

Hi, Long time user of FH but had a long break for family reasons, so still using V4. I know have time to do more research and uploaded my GEDCOM file to findmypast yesterday, was warned it would take ages and it did. Since then I have had to open up FH from the back up file as the project file has either old dates ( 2012 or today 1.1.1970). How can I get it to save the latest file as the current project? If all goes well will have the upgrade to V6 on my gift wishlist.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Having to open program from back up file

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

What exactly do you mean by "open up FH from the back up file"?
You should NEVER use the FH Backup .ZIP files directly.
They should only ever be restored via File > Backup/Restore > Restore.
See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for full details.

You don't say, but I presume you are looking in the File > Project Window.
Whatever you did in uploading to FindMyPast seems to have upset the FH Project folder structure.
See how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|> Project Structure for a sample of the Project file & folder structure for the Family Historian Sample Project.
From that can you deduce what has been upset?
If not, then post similar screenshots for your Projects, and we will try and figure it out.

It is rarely a good idea to delve into the Project folders unless you know what you are doing.
There are Plugin tools to help with exporting to FindMyPast, etc, but only with FH V5 or later.
In the meantime always use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cajames
Silver

Post by cajames »

Thanks I will have a look. Having only used FH about 6 times in over 3 years my knowledge is rusty to say the least.
cajames
Silver

Post by cajames »

Had a look in the section about how to set up files and root folders, seems OK apart from the file with the .fh.proj as its file extension is missing. The GEDCOM file is present.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, as it says in how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|> Project Structure, the Family Historian Project File (.fh_proj) has the same contents in every Project.

So, if the Family Historian Sample Project does not exist, then create it as explained in Project Structure.
Copy its .fh_proj file to your Project and rename it to match your Project name.

Hopefully that will fix the Project with Last Update at 01/01/1970 00:00.

If not, then please ask for more advice.
cajames
Silver

Post by cajames »

Ah, I had gone to open it up and got a file date of 1.1.1970 and thought that that was wrong. Many thanks for helping me.
cajames
Silver

Post by cajames »

Had a look again tonight, sorry I only get a short time each day to get onto PC at home.
When I try to open up FH, I select the project named Carol and Chris James, but when I click on open , it comes up with an error message box.

Unable to open file C:\Users\Carol\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Carol and Chris James Tree\Carol and Chris James Tree.fh_data\Carol and Chris James Tree.ged
File not found

I have noticed that there is a file in that folder ~fh3B95.tmp has the gedcom file been converted to something else?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am a bit confused because yesterday you said GEDCOM File was OK.
Under certain conditions FH will produce a tmp file like that containing the Gedcom data.
So, try renaming the ~fh3B9F.tmp file to Carol and Chris James Tree.ged
cajames
Silver

Post by cajames »

That has worked, I was a bit unsure or renaming the file as it came up with a warning about possibly being unusable.

This has taught me not to rush into things. I was trying to take advantage of the Hints feature on Findmypast. I had written down the few new details found, so will re-enter them into FH.

Thanks